^ ft 5? ft
The Image Tour stops for lunch at the Samoa
s 1 Si 1
Cookhouse, the last surviving cookhouse in the western
United States. Dating from the early 1900s, the cookhouse has served large quantities of food every day—first to lumberjacks at the Hammond Lumber Co.
(presently Louisiana-Pacific Corp.) logging camp and now ta families.
timber industries. More modern souvenirs and loaves of
i he MV Madaket is a
M e m o r i a l
working piece of Humboldt
Bay's maritime history. Con
structed of local Douglas fir, the small steamer was launch
ed in 1910 at Fairhaven, near Samoa, and was originally named Nellie C. A loyal workhorse for three-quarters of a century, the Madaket served as a passenger ferry between Eureka and Samoa until 1972, when a bridge linking the peninsula with the mainland was completed.
1*he Humbod l t Bay Martime Museum, atlhough not a regular part of the Image Tour, is an interesting side trip during a visitor's stay in Eureka. TTie museum chronicles Humboldt Bay's contributions to the Pacific Coast's maritime heritage. In addition, the museum's Foundation maintains maritie artifacts in the area, such as the Table
Bluff Lighthouse, relocated at the Woodley Island Marina.
TTie museum building is a modified replica of the George McFarlan home, originally constructed where the
^^oodley Island Marina was opened during summer, 1981,
and serves as a haven for commercial fishing boats, private craft and a wildlife sanctuary. Dominating the western tip of the island is a 25-foot statue, "The Fisherman," designed by Eurekan Dick Crane and dedicated to the memory of local fishermen who have lost their lives at sea.
Island / WladaUet
the cookhouse's bread can be bought in the gift shop.
ss ^ a^
Gracing the walls of the dining rooms and dominating the adjoining museum, the cookhouse proudly displays mementos from the early days of the Pacific Northwest's
Humboldt Countys' heritage is preserved at the Clarke Memorial Museum. Founded in 1960 by Cecile Clarke, a
history teacher at Eureka High School for 36 years, the
sprs s S. a-- r ?
| 2 l
museum contains two halls which display different aspects of the county's past. The
antique weapon displays, Vic torian furnishings, pioneer
museum is now situated, in 1852. McFarlan was a
and maritime artifacts, and
pioneer landowner and lumberman, one of the first to
gems and minerals. Nealis
log large tracts of land within the present Eureka city
Hall, a recent addition to the
museum, houses the world's
Opened to the public in 1984, the museum is located at 1410 Second St., one block east of the Carson Mansion. Tours can be arranged for groups. Call 444-9440 for arrangcmci.ts and hours of operation.
largest collection of North western California's Indian
fie? ^ , 0 0 -
1 « a
Yo u ' v e
^^elcome to Eureka, larg est coastal city between San Francisco and Portland, capitol of Northwestern Califor
nia's timber and fishing indus tries and Humboldt County's seat of government. You are about to embark
on the Eureka Image Tour, a five-hour excursion through the colorful, historic lore of
this North Coast seaport. You will visit sites from its past, meet people who are part
of its present and shaping its future. Sponsored by the Eureka Chamber of Commerce, this tour is a unique op portunity to get an overview of this area as few other visitors can.
After the tour, you can take advantage of Eureka's many restaurants and lounges. Why not sample some of the area's famous seafood, or relax and watch the sunset over the
bay? And there's plenty to do nearby—Eureka is a gate way to Redwotid National Park and Avenue of the Giants. Whatever it is you're looking for in a vacation, you've
coastal supply route was needed to replenish miners working at strikes in Siskiyou and Trinity counties. An expedition out of San Francisco aboard the Laura Virginia assessed Humboldt Bay as the most central and logical location to establish a base. Three towns sprung up on the bay. The first was Hum boldt City, named for German naturalist and explorer Alexander von Humboldt, and was located where King Salmon Resort stands today. Eureka was established three miles north and opposite the entrance to the bay. Union, now Areata, was founded at the northern end of
Sequoia Park and Zoo
Mjocated in a corner of Eureka's 56-acre Sequoia Park, the Zoo houses more than
100 animals representing 50 species from six continents.
Established in 1907, the Zoo
Of the three cities, Eureka grew the fastest. Not only was it supplying the miners, but it served as a home for the booming timber industry. Fort Humboldt was organized in 1853 between Eureka and Humboldt City, and the two towns grew together. Eureka became the county seat and incorporated in 1856.
recently completed the Bear Grotto and upgraded its ape and monkey enclosures.
Gabriel Sculpture Garden The bizarre, whimsical collection of wooden figures and forms in Old Town is Romano Gabriel's Sculpture Garden, The late Gabriel, an Italian immigrant, spent 30
Today, Eureka is a city of 25,000 people. The tedious stage route to San Francisco, which took three to four days, has been replaced by a five-hour drive along Highway 101, the Redwood Highway, The oncedangerous entrance to the bay has been improved, and ships from all over the world make it a port of call.
years transforming soap crates and wood scraps into commentaries on people who made the headlines during his lifetime.
Following Gabriel's death in the 1970s, the garden,
Vi c t o r i a n
found it in Eureka!
H o m e s
Eureka's Early Days ▼ ictorian-era architecture
Early English and Spanish explorers charted Northern
adds color and charm to
California's coastline, noting such points as Cape
almost every Eureka neigh
Mendocino and Trinidad Head, but the obscure entrance to Humboldt Bay was not discovered until
1806, The O'Cain, an American vessel scouting sea otter colonies for the Russian-American Co., dropped anchor and dubbed the harbor "Indian Bay" after the numerous Wiyot tribe encampments ringing the shoreline. When more otters were found south toward Monterey, Humboldt Bay was forgotten. In 1850, at the height of California's Gold Rush, a
originally located at his Eureka residence, began to fall into disrepair. Concerned residents raised money to restore it and relocate the garden at its present location in 1977.
Coast Oyster Co. Plant Hlarvesting the seas has been Eureka's second most important livelihood after logging. It is an industry
borhood. From the colossal
which stretches back to the Native Americans, who
Carson Mansion to much
found the bay and its neighboring rivers an excellent
smaller dwellings. Eureka is
source of salmon, trout, crabs, clams and oysters.
a gold mine for Victorian
Founded in 1955, the Coast Oyster Co. is helping to keep that heritage alive. Humboldt Bay supplies nearly 80 percent of California's oyster harvest, and most of the
buffs and photographers.
annual yield is processed at this plant.
Fort Humboldt, now a state historic park, was established in 1853 to protect Humboldt Bay's fledgling communities during the Pacific Northwest's Indian Wars.
A year after the fort was founded, it became the post of Captain Ulysses S. Grant, later commander of Union forces in the Civil War and the United States' 18th
To w n
Eureka's Old Town is just that—Eureka's oldest district. Present-day Old Town is the site of the original city, stretching from "A" to "M" Streets and from 4th Street north to the waterfront. Old Town's buildings ate
carefully restored to look as they did at the turn of the century, yet most have modern conveniences.
Today, only the hospital remains of the fort's original buildings. But the grounds now house a logging exhibit which displays the hardware and showcases the lifestyles
Rollicking sailors, stevedores and lumberjacks have been replaced by couples and families strolling from store to store or relaxing near the gazebo. Full of antique stores, specialty shops and restaurants. Old Town combines the spirit of the past with the dynamics of
of the county's lumber industry.