2011 ND State FFA Quiz ‐ Final Round History of the FFA – (5 Points each) 1. In what year did the National FFA Officers go on their first Goodwill tour? 1947 2. In 1939 who shared the Star Farmer of America Award? Twin brothers Albert and Arthur Lacy of Hondo, Texas 3. In what year did the National FFA Delegates take action to establish a National FFA Camp? 1937 4. In 1930 the First Official FFA Manual was printed with a grant from? Farm Journal Press of Philadelphia Pennsylvania 5. What organization was established in 1935 to provide leadership opportunities to African American students participating in vocational education classes? NFA – New Farmers of America 6. What FFA magazine was established in 1952? The National Future Farmer 7. In 1965 the FFA raised the National FFA dues from ten cents to? $.50 8. In 1976 who was elected as the first National FFA Female Officer? Julie Smiley – Washington 9. In what year was the first FFA Student Handbook Published? 1976 10. In what year were 7th and 8th grade FFA members allowed to join the FFA? 1988
Who and Where (10 points per question) 1. Name two members of the National Championship Ag Sales team from Minot? Jordan Peterson, Maria Pitner, Tessa Cammel, Brianne Johnson and Coach Jeff Ball 2. The Bakk Trust provides many FFA members with amazing opportunities, Mr. Bakk donated land from his farm to the ND FFA. In which two counties is the land located? Richland and Sargent 3. What former ND State FFA Executive Secretary was named “Agriculturalist of the Year” by the Saddle and Sirloin Club at NDSU in 2010? Doug Vannurden 4. Who was this year’s winner of the new 4 wheeler raffled off by the ND FFA Alumni? Coleen Pacczkowski of Abercrombie, ND 5. Who receives the Don Erickson Memorial Award each year at the ND State FFA Convention? The winner of the State Talent Contest 6. Where is the ND State FFA Office located? 15th Floor of the State Capitol or 600 E. Boulevard Ave, Bismarck, ND 7. Please give me the name and home chapter of the 2010 ND Star in Agribusiness? Grayson Spangelo of the Hebron FFA Chapter 8. What is the name of the company that provides ND FFA Chapters with safety grants? Alliance Pipeline 9. Who provides all first year FFA members in ND with a free copy of the FFA Student Handbook? Farm Credit Services 10. Which ND FFA Chapter received the Three Star Award at the National FFA Convention? Rugby
Parliamentary Procedure ‐ (15 points per question) 1. The maker of a motion is allowed to vote against their motion, but they are not allowed to? Speak against the motion 2. Who is the question from a parliamentary inquiry directed to? Presiding Officer/Chairman/President 3. What vote is required on a parliamentary inquiry? No vote is taken, the chair makes a ruling. 4. What motion takes precedence over the privileged motion to adjourn? Fix a time 5. Name two undebatable subsidiary motions? Lay on the table, Previous Question, Limit debate, (amend can be if what was amended is not debatable) 6. What is the lowest ranking subsidiary motion? Postpone indefinitely 7. When should the names of those voting on each side be recorded in the minutes? When a roll call vote is used 8. What is the only subsidiary motion that allows debate to go fully into the merits of the motion. Postpone indefinitely 9. Name a subsidiary motion that can be applied to the motion to limit debate? Previous Question or Lay on the Table 10. What is putting the question? Taking a vote on a motion
General Knowledge – (20 points per question) 1. Which current National FFA Officer is legally blind? Landan Schaffert (National Secretary from Colorado) 2. Who will be North Dakotas candidate for National FFA Office this year? Andrew Young, Napoleon 3. Which CDE team can win the Les Gullickson Memorial Trophy? Farm Management 4. In what year will the National FFA Convention be headed back to Louisville? 2013 5. Please state the FFA Mission Statement? FFA makes a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for premier leadership, personal growth, and career success through agricultural education.
2011 North Dakota FFA Quiz Please use a number #2 pencil on the corresponding GradeMaster Card and fill in the answers clearly. 1. What year was the first National Creed Speaking Event held? a. 1931 b. 1965 c. 1990 d. 1999 2. What year was the New Farmers of America national organization founded? a. 1929 b. 1935 c. 1940 d. 1965 3. When did the first FFA National Agricultural Career Show take place? a. 1956 b. 1946 c. 1976 d. 1966 4. What chapter was the 2010 state winner in Food for America? a. Williston b. Divide County c. Turtle Lake‐Mercer d. Maddock 5. Who was awarded the Honorary American Degree at the 2010 National Convention? a. Barbara Mueller b. Ken Astrip c. Dr. Anissa Wilhelm d. Joel Janke 6. What chapter is the current North Dakota FFA President from? a. Beulah b. Mandan c. Wishek d. Rugby 7. Who is the current North Dakota FFA Secretary? a. Jenna Vculek b. Michael Bahm c. Zach Rameden d. Vance Zacharias 8. By what year had every state besides Alaska and Rhode Island chartered an FFA Association? a. 1934 b. 1929 c. 1950 d. 1976 9. Which officer should take charge of candidates for degree ceremonies? a. Secretary b. Sentinel c. Vice President d. Reporter 10. The National FFA Organization’s federal charter is currently part of what Public Law? a. 760 b. 740 c. 105‐225 d. 81‐740 11. In 1928, 33 delegates from 18 states met at what hotel to formally launch the organization? a. Brooklyn Hotel b. Birmingham Hotel c. Biltmore Hotel d. Baltimore Hotel 12. The current National FFA President is from? a. Texas b. Wyoming c. California d. Oklahoma 13. What year were women admitted into national membership in the FFA? a. 1965 b. 1988 c. 1975 d. 1969 14. FFA members are paired with elementary students and meet regularly throughout the year for hands‐on learning of agriculture through: a. PALS b. KIDS c. FFA’ers d. SEEK 15. Who is the current National Eastern Region Vice President? a. Landan Schaffert b. Tiffany Rogers c. Shannon Norris d. Wyatt DeJong 16. What was the theme of the 2011 Greenhand Conference? a. WANTED b. Prospecting for Success c. Hereos d. FFA’s Got Talent
17. The membership year of the National FFA Organization runs from: a. September 1‐August 31 b. October 1‐September 30 c. July 1‐June 30 d. November 1‐October 31 18. The first female American Star Farmer was Karlene Lindow in 2002. What state was she from? a. California b. Virginia c. Wisconsin d. New Hampshire 19. What is the name of the National FFA Apparel and Gift Catalog? a. National Blue b. Gold c. Corn Gold d. Blue 20. The maker of the motion can choose to: a. Vote in favor b. Not vote at all c. Vote against d. All of the above 21. You can reconsider all of the following motions except: a. Previous Question b. Appeal c. Amend d. Reconsider 22. You must be recognized for the following except: a. Withdraw b. Previous Question c. Rescind d. Reconsider 23. What does the cross section of the ear of corn on the emblem symbolize? a. growth b. life c. unity d. secretary 24. When did the National FFA Alumni begin? a. 1969 b. 1970 c. 1971 d. 1972 25. How much are current annual national dues? a. $5 b. $7 c.
26. Who was the 2010 State Star Farmer? a. Jenna Vculek b. Vance Zacharias c. Devan Hafner 27. Where does BLAST‐Off, held annually for the state officers, take place? a. Cody, WY b. Washington, DC c. Bismarck, ND 28. Where is the annual ND FFA Alumni and Foundation Auction held? a. Minot, ND b. Bismarck, ND c. Fargo, ND 29. What year was the first National FFA Chorus? a. 1933 b. 1934 c. 1947
d. Tonya Zimmerman
d. Billings, MT
Valley City, ND
30. How many times are the words “I believe” stated in The FFA Creed? a. 5 b. 6 c. 7 d. 31. The golden key represents what degree? a. Discovery b. Chapter c. State d. 32. The first national FFA advisor was C. H. Lane. What does C. H. stand for? a.Christopher Henly b. Chuck Humphry c. Chad Harvey 33. Which chapter won the ND Meats Evaluation CDE in 2010? a. Napoleon b. Rugby c. Minot d.
d. Charles Homer
34. What year was the ND State FFA Convention not held due to war? a. 1942 b. 1943 c. 1944
35. North Dakota has had 6 National FFA Proficiency Award Winners. Who was the last to be named a winner? a. Kevin Teigen b. Paul Foss c. Vance Zacharias d. Kari Wanner 36. Which of the following is true statement regarding a Refer to A committee? a. Motion is not debatable b. Motion is Privileged c. Must state type of committee d. cannot be reconsidered 37. Which of the following requires a 2/3 majority vote? a. Adjourn b. Point of Order c. Suspend the Rules d. Lay on the Table 38. The Eagle on the FFA emblem represents? a. Freedom b. Independence c. Leadership d. National Scope of FFA 39. Discussion seems to be going on forever, what could be used to end discussion and bring a vote? a. Amendment b. Suspend the Rules c. Previous Question d. Reconsider
40. Members are to stand on which tap of the gavel? a. one b. two c. three
41. Who is the ND FFA Foundation Public Relations Officer? a. Joel Janke b. Doug Vannurden c. Beth Bakke Stenehjem d. Thomas Williams 42. Who is the ND State Executive Secretary? a. Doug Vannurden b. Steve Zimmerman c. Dr. Brent Young d. Aaron Anderson 43. What was the name of the group that merged with FFA in 1965? a. 4‐H b. Young Farmers of America c. New Farmers of America d. National Farmers Organization 44. The first degree of membership a member can receive is: a. Chapter Degree b. Greenhand Degree c. Discovery Degree d. First Degree 45. The first proficiency awards were presented in what year? a. 1935 b. 1944 c. 1952 d. 1965 46. The FFA Official Dress Standards created in this year. a. 1928 b. 1987 c. 1975 d. 1973 47. Where are the National FFA Headquarters? a. Louisville b. Indianapolis c. Kansas City d. Alexandria 48. Who is our ND Northeast Region President? a. Tanasha Krull b. Ian Hall c. Jenna Vculek d. Zach Rameden 49. Who is the ND Northwest Region Vice President? a. Tanasha Krull b. Ian Hall c. Jenna Vculek d. Zach Rameden 50. Who is the last State FFA Ambassador? a. Tanasha Krull b. Erica Odermann c. Andrew Young d. Zach Rameden
51. Who is the National FFA President? a. Riley Pagett b. Wyatt DeJong c. James Flatt d. Shannon Norris 52. Who is the National Western Region Vice‐President? a. Riley Pagett b. Wyatt DeJong c. James Flatt d. Shannon Norris 53. Who is the National Central Region Vice‐President? a. Riley Pagett b. Wyatt DeJong c. James Flatt d. Shannon Norris 54. Current President of the ND FFA Foundation? a. Aaron Anderson b. Dennis Walsh c. Steve Zimmerman d. Thomas Williams 55. State Land Judging Champion a. Rugby b. Carrington c. Center d. Hebron 56. Who was the current ND FFA member that helped Auctioneer for ND FFA Alumni/Foundation Auction? a. Daryl Lies b. Mike Bahm c. Butch Haugland d. Michael Ostrem 57. National FFA Advisor a. Bernie Staller b. Marion Fletcher c. Larry Case d. Steve Brown 58. National Executive Treasurer a. Nathan Popiel b. Marion Fletcher c. Larry Case d. Coleman Harris 59. Who was the high individual in the 2011 Crop Judging CDE? a. Alex Jones b. Jodi Boe c. Courtney Krebsbach d. Wyatt Bachmeier 60. Who was the high individual in the 2010 Creed CDE? a. Natalie Buck b. Lexie Unhjem c. Samantha McLaughlin d. Briana Dazell 61. Who was the high individual in the 2010 Livestock Judging CDE? a. Jessica Long b. Taylor Friesz c. Nick Germann d. Phillip Brandvold 62. What team won the 2011 Ag Sales CDE? a. Napoleon b. Harvey c. Minot d. Max 63. Who was the high individual in the 2010 Dairy Foods CDE? a. Adam Woroniecki b. Justin Wehri c. Dani Taylor d. Ryan Miller 64. Who was the high individual in the 2010 Quiz CDE? a. Zach Rameden b. Shenille Laber c. Brianna Johnson d. Megan Wald 65. Who was the high individual in the 2010 Land Judging Contest a. Caylor Rosseneau b. Caycee Bregel c. Jesse Klebe d. Karl Klindworth 66. Who was the high individual in the 2010 Food Science CDE? a. Tanasha Krull b. Krista Gross c. Jenna Vculek d. Anna Richter 67. What team won the 2010 Horse Judging CDE? a. Grant County b. Stanley c. Napoleon d. Maddock
68. What team won the 2010 Floriculture CDE? a. Minot b. Beulah c. Napoleon d. Carrington 69. What was the theme for the 83rd National FFA Convention and the 82nd North Dakota FFA Convention? a. Lead Out Loud b. Step Up Stand Out c. Leaders d. Infinite Potential 70. What is the National FFA initiative called that wants members and stakeholders to provide feedback on FFA programs called? a. You Talk. We Listen b. Finding the Facts c. FFA Nation d. Feedback Central 71. What brand of 4‐wheeler is given away in the ND FFA Alumni Raffle a. Arctic Cat b. Polaris c. John Deere d. Honda 72. Which CDE event at the ND FFA Wintershow has the most members competing? a. Ag Sales b. Crops Judging c. Livestock Judging d. Land Judging 73. Over 600 T‐shirts were given away at the 2010 State FFA Convention. Who sponsored the shirts? a. Monsanto b. Syngenta c. Farm Credit Services d. Pioneer Hi‐bred 74. How many Secondary Ag Education programs are currently in North Dakota? a. 54 b. 72 c. 77 d. 83 75. The SAE Grant Programs, College Scholarships and Young Farmer Scholarships are made possible by the donation of land to the North Dakota FFA Foundation. Who was the individual that donated this property? a. Fidtjov Bakk b. Fred Ziel c. Roger Goodell d. Leslie Applegate 76. What chapter won the National Agriculture Sales and Service CDE at last year’s National FFA Convention? a. Minot b. Napoleon c. Enderlin d. Garrison 77. Who was the Star in Agribusiness in 2010? a. Grayson Spangelo b. Vance Zacharias c. Tonya Zimmerman d. Devan Hafner 78. Who was the Star State Farmer in 2010? a. Grayson Spangelo b. Vance Zacharias c. Tonya Zimmerman d. Devan Hafner 79. Who was the Star in Agri‐Science in 2010? a. Grayson Spangelo b. Vance Zacharias c. Tonya Zimmerman d. Devan Hafner 80. Who was the 2010 Star in Ag Placement? a. Grayson Spangelo b. Vance Zacharias
c. Tonya Zimmerman d. Devan Hafner
81. How many National Proficiency Finalists did North Dakota have in 2010? a. 0 b. 1 c. 3 d. 5 82. Which Chapter hosts the Chapter Presidents Conference a. Maddock b. Carrington c. Napoleon d. Oakes/Sargent Central 83. Name of the Administrative Assistant at the ND FFA State Office a. Linda Kuntz b. Brenda Herring c. Lorrie Ruff d. Beth Allen 84. Where is the 2120 Conference held? a. Ramkota Hotel b. Raddison Hotel c. Bismarck Career Academy d. State Capital
85. What is the name of the RFDTV television network show that features the FFA? a. “American Stars” b. “FFA Today” c. “FFA Horizons” d. “New Horizons” 86. Which type of SAE would you have if you are employed by someone else? a. Ag Service Learning b. Directed School c. Placement d. Entrepreneurship 87. Which is not a main component of the FFA mission? a. Awards b. Career Success c. Premier Leadership d. Personal Growth 88. Which type of growth is not a target of FFA’s mission for personal growth? a. Physical Growth b. Social Growth c. Professional Growth d. Financial Growth 89. The Smith Hughes Act established Vocational Education classes beginning in this year: a. 1928 b. 1917 c. 1926 d. 1929 90. The year that the first national FFA Convention was held. a. 1928 b. 1917 c. 1926 d. 1929 91. Year that the official colors were adopted. a. 1928 b. 1917 c. 1926 d. 1929 92. Who wrote the FFA Creed? a. Leslie Applegate b. Henry C. Groseclose c. Carlton Patton d. E.M. Tiffany 93. The third line of the FFA Motto is: a. Earning to Live b. Living to Serve c. Doing to Earn d. Doing to Learn 94. What were the original dues set to at the 1st National Convention? a. $.03 b. $.10 c. $.12 95. What symbol represents “Knowledge” on the FFA emblem? a. Eagle b. Rising Sun c. Cross Section of Corn
96. What is the name of the building where general sessions are held at the ND State FFA Convention? a. Bison Arena b. Memorial Hall c. Century Hall d. Bentson Bunker 97. How should any idea or item of business be introduced to the group? a. At a meeting b. Let the president know c. In the form of a Motion c. The Advisor 98. What year is the National FFA Convention moving back to Louisville, KY? a. 2012 b. 2013 c. 2014 d. Never moving 99. Where are the 2012 Winter CDE’s going to be held? a. Valley City b. Minot c. Bismarck d. Fargo 100. Where is the State FFA Office located? a. NDSU b. NDSCS c. BSC d. State Capital
Semi Final Round A History of the FFA ( 5 points each) 1. In what year was the National FFA Center dedicated in Indianapolis, Indiana? 1998 2. Who was the most recent ND FFA member to be elected as a National FFA Officer? Amber Haugland 3. In what year did vocational agriculture students come together for a National Livestock Judging Contest at the American Royal in Kansas City, Missouri? 1926 4. In 1917 the Smith – Hughes act was established by congressmen Smith and Hughes, what state were they from? Georgia 5. In what year were the Official Dress Standards created? 1973 6. In 1979 who won the first National Extemporaneous Public Speaking Contest? Christie Peterson of Wisconsin 7. In what year was Life Knowledge launched? 2004 8. In 2003 FFA was launched on what TV channel? RFD 9. What is the name of the program that was launched in 2005 to help rebuild the golf coast states Ag Ed programs after Hurricane Katrina? Seeds of Hope 10. In what year was the FFA Discovery degree established for middle school FFA members? 2001
Who and Where (10 points per question) 1. Who is the current National FFA Advisor?
2. In what city was the first ND State FFA Greenhand Conference Held? Minot 3. Who won the National FFA Fiber and Oil Crop Proficiency award? Vance Zacharias 4. Where is the ND State FFA Office located? 15th Floor ND State Capitol Building 5. Who was the high individual in the 2010 state Range judging contest? Nevada Turberville 6. Which chapter had four teams competing in the 2010 National FFA Convention? Minot 7. Who retired as the National FFA Advisor in December? Dr. Case 8. Who is the Executive Director of the ND FFA Foundation? Beth Bakke Stenehjem 9. Which FFA sponsor served as a 3 Star partner of the ND FFA Foundation in 2010? CHS Foundation 10. The NDAAE named which school the North Dakota Outstanding Ag Ed Program? Richland 44
Parliamentary Procedure ( 15 points) 1. Name 3 situations where the President can vote without relinquishing the duties of the chair? Break a tie, create a tie, secret ballot 2. Name the five classifications of motions? Privileged, incidental, subsidiary, main, other (motions that bring a question again before assembly) 3. Who is the author of the reference materials that serve as the official reference guides for the ND parliamentary procedure contest? Shane Dunbar 4. What are the two forms of a question of privilege? Personal and group 5. What are the four method of voting? Voice, rising, roll call, secret ballot 6. If we have 45 members in attendance at our meeting and the motion to reconsider has been made how many votes are needed for passage? 23 7. Name four incidental motions? Suspend the rules, withdraw, object to the consideration, point of order, parliamentary inquiry, appeal, point of information, division of the assembly, division of the question 8. Name three privileged motions that the motion to adjourn takes precedence over? Recess, Question of Privilege, Orders of day
9. What is the purpose of the motion previous question? To immediately close debate. 10. Name three ways in which debate can be limited? Number of debates, length of debate, total time for all debate, or time of day General Knowledge (20 points per question) 1. Which ND FFA member assisted Butch Haugalnd as an auctioneer at the 2010 FFA Alumni auction held at the ND State Fair? Mike Ostrem 2. Alliance Pipeline is a partner with the ND FFA in providing monies for special ND FFA projects, how much money did they provide the ND FFA for projects this year? $25,000 3. The ND FFA Foundation hosted a picnic for the ND Legislators, their staff and elected officials on April 7th. Name three FFA Chapters that took part in the picnic? Bottineau, Turtle Lake, Harvey, Bismarck, (Rugby) 4. Who was the sponsor of the ND FFA Expansion Grant Program? Bakk 5. Who won the 2011 Polaris 400 Sportsmen 4 wheeler raffled off by the ND FFA Alumni? Rodine Stastny of Mandan
Semi Final Round B History of the FFA ( 5 points each) 1. In 2002 who became the first female Star Farmer of America? Karlene Lindow of Wisconsin 2. In what year was the Foods for America launched? 1975 3. Who was the first African American elected to National FFA Office? Fred McClure 4. In what year was the first FFA Student Handbook published? 1976 5. In what year was the National FFA Alumni started? 1971 6. In what year was the first Career Show held at the National FFA Convention? 1966 7. Who was the first President of the United States to speak at the National FFA Convention? Dwight D. Eisenhauer 8. Which State was the last to be chartered into the FFA? Rhode Island 9. In what year was the FFA formed in Washington DC? 1944 10. Who was the first Director of the National FFA Talent Program? Don Erickson of North Dakota
Who and Where – (10 points per question) 1.Who is the President of the ND FFA Foundation? Dennis Walsh 2. ND has had two National winning teams in Ag Sales, name them? Napoleon and Minot 3. This past year the ND FFA Foundation relocated its office to where? 909 Basin Ave. Bismarck 4. Who was North Dakotas National FFA Officer candidate at the past National FFA Convention? Levi Hall – Berthold 5. Which ND FFA Chapter won the State Dairy Cattle judging contest in 2010? Granville 6. Two part question, What do the letters NLCSO stand for and where is it held? National Leadership Conference for State Officers – Cody Wyoming 7. Who won the 2010 ND State Job Interview Contest? Amy Richter – Carrington 8. Who from North Dakota was a flag Bearer at the 2010 National FFA Convention? Kaiden Straabe – Mandan 9. Which team from North Dakota earned a National Gold award in the 2010 Horse Judging Contest? Maddock 10. Who provides the North Dakota FFA Stars with a $300 check? USDA Farm Service Agency, DuPont Company, USDA Rural Development (any one will do)
Parliamentary Procedure – (15 points per question) 1. What are the two degrees of amendments? Primary and secondary 2. Name any three rules of debate? Two debates per member, 10 min per debate, Maker has first right, no one may speak twice before everyone who wishes has had a chance to debate, chair should rotate sides 3. What happens to the motion to postpone indefinitely if it is pending when the main motion is referred to the table? It is dropped 4. Which type of committee is a temporary committee and becomes nonexistent as soon as the committee’s task is completed? Special 5. What motion would you use if you wanted to change an action previously taken or ordered? Rescind 6. Name the three motions that fall under the classification of other motions or those motions that bring a question again before the assembly? ‐
Take from the table ‐ reconsider ‐ rescind
7. Please describe how the presiding officer could become involved in debate? By relinquishing the duties of the chair 8. What is the lowest ranking subsidiary motion? Postpone indefinitely 9. What motion would you use if you wanted to set a time for another meeting to continue the business of this meeting? Fix a time 10. Name the three privileged motions that the motion to adjourn out ranks? Recess – Question of privilege ‐ Call for the orders of the day
General Knowledge – (20 points per question) 1. Who did Mr. Aaron Anderson replace as Executive Secretary of the ND FFA? Doug Vannurden 2. How many FFA jackets are given to each newly elected National FFA Officer for the year? Six 3. We all know those famous words written by EM Tiffany many years ago, what university did EM Tiffany work for while he was training Vocational Agricultural teachers? University of Wisconsin 4. What former female FFA member from the Bowman FFA Chapter had a column entitled “The Early Days of Female Membership” in the Official FFA Student Handbook? Gwen Kitzan 5. Who serves the ND State Fair as FFA Manager? Mr. Cam Young ‐ Kenmare