FULTON, ETHAN ALLEN Ethan Allen FULTON, captain of Howitzer Company of the 151st Infantry, United States National Guard of Indiana, former captain of Company G, 3d Infantry, Indiana National Guard, a veteran of the World war, first post commander of the Robert Guy Ayers Post of the American Legion at Portland and one of the best known citizens of that city, for years prominently and actively connected with the work of oil development hereabout, was born in Portland and has lived there all his life. Captain FULTON was born on May 6, 1872, and is a son of Benjamin F. and Sarah G. ( HAWKINS ) FULTON, the latter of whom also was born in this county, a member of the well-known pioneer Hawkins family, and the former a native of Shelby county, Ohio, but for many years a resident of Portland, conspicuously identified with the oil and gas industry in this section from the days of the beginning of the development of that important industry, as is set out elsewhere in this work. Indeed, it is a matter of record that the late Benjamin F. FULTON "brought in" the first profitably producing oil well in Jay county that is the first well that produced in sufficient quantity to warrant its connection with the pipe line. Ethan A. FULTON was reared in Portland and after four years of high school work entered the mechanical engineering course Purdue University. After two years of university work he return to Portland and became engaged with his father in the latter's extensive oil development work, drilling in the oil fields of Jay county, and presently formed a partnership with his father, a mutually agreeable association that continued for about fifteen years, at the end of which time the younger FULTON became engaged in the same line on his own account and so continued for five years or more, since which time his services have been rendered in behalf of other local producers, Captain FULTON's long connection with development work and thorough acquaintance with the local oil field giving to these services a special value. It was in 1908 that Captain FULTON started the movement which led to the organization of a local company of the Indiana National Guard at Portland G Company of the 3d Infantry regiment and he was for year’s captain of that company. The first "call to arms" this company responded to was in 1913 when it was sent to Indianapolis to enter guard duty at a time of a street car strike. Three years later, in 1916, when the trouble arose on the Mexican border, Company G was federalized, along with other units of the Indiana National Guard, and sent to the border, where Captain FULTON's command was kept on patrol duty until the "flurry" ended. When the United States entered the World war Company G was sent to Ft. Harrison as a unit and there federalized, but lost its identity, its members being assigned to various detachments. On June 6, 1918, Captain FULTON was commissioned a captain in the United States army and given command of Company B of the 22d Battalion, brigaded at Camp Stanley and Globe, Ariz., and continued in army service until mustered out some time following the signing of the armistice in the following November. Captain FULTON took an active part in the organization of Robert Guy Ayers Post, No. 211, American Legion, at Portland and was elected first post commander of that patriotic organization. In 1921 he was instrumental in effecting the organization of a new
military unit in Portland to take the place of old G Company and was commissioned captain of the same. This company was recognized by the state on June 10, 1921, and by the War Department on June 25, and was assigned as Howitzer Company of the 151st Infantry, United States National Guard of Indiana. The Captain is a Republican and has ever given his interested attention to local civic affairs. He is a Freemason, affiliated with Jay Lodge No. 87, F. and A. M. at Portland, and is also affiliated with the local lodge of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the local aerie of the Fraternal Order of Eagles. On June 10, 1896, Ethan Allen FULTON was united in marriage to Gertrude ROGERS, who was born at Farmland, Ind., but was reared and educated at Portland, daughter of Henry and Jane ( DICK ) ROGERS, and to this union two children have been born Pauline and Dorothy (deceased). Dorothy FULTON, who died on October 1. 1917 married Joseph CAMPBELL a lumberman living at Anderson. Ind. and left one child a daughter, Betty F. SOURCE: Milton T. Jay, M.D., History of Jay County Indiana, Historical Publishing Co., Indpls. 1922, Vol. II, pp.182-183. Transcribed by Eloine Chesnut.