INSTRUCTIONS FOR PHASE I: RECORDED AUDITION The recorded audition gives you the opportunity to present your talent with a minimum of pressure. Please prepare it carefully. Recordings will not be returned.
1. Use a good digital recorder and CD. NOTE: Good recording quality is important to the success of your audition; however, it is not necessary to hire a recording studio or engineer. 2. Only CDs will be accepted. Do not submit your recorded audition on a cassette tape, DVD, mini-CD, MP3 player, or any other method except a standard CD.
3. It is very important that your recorded audition is submitted on a CD that can be played on a regular sound system. Allow yourself sufficient time to make the recording, transfer it to a CD, and check the quality and sound levels by playing it back on more than one sound system (car, CD player, etc.) Do not submit a CD that can be played only on a computer. 4. A piano or other pitched instrument is necessary for reference, but will not be used for accompaniment. Try to avoid a room or electronic equipment that generates an echo. 5. Announce your name on the recording.
6. Announce each recorded event, e.g. “event 1 letter a”, then proceed with the event. 7. Write your name on the CD.
8. Do not tape shut the CD case or sleeve.
1. Select one hymn from the three listed below. a. “Abide with Me” Hymns, no. 166
b. “O My Father” Hymns, no. 292
c. “I Need Thee Every Hour” Hymns, no. 98
Perform that hymn on the four tasks listed below.
a. Play and announce the beginning pitch in a key that is comfortable for you and is within the range of the vocal part for which you are auditioning (see page 3 of the Application Guide.) Sing one verse of the melody of the hymn without accompaniment, using what you consider to be your natural singing style. Play and announce the ending pitch. b. Repeat the first few measures of the song with a straight tone.
c. Sing a few measures of the song sotto voce (quietly.)
d. Sing a few measures of the song fortissimo (loudly.)
2. Record the following vocal exercises, unaccompanied, at a fairly brisk tempo, beginning on a comfortable pitch within the range of the vocal part for which you are auditioning. (See page 3 of the Application Guide.) a. Upper Range: Choose one of the following two and repeat successive times one-half step higher until the extremity of the upper range is reached. Sopranos and Tenors:
Altos and Basses:
b. Lower Range: Repeat successive times one-half step lower until the extremity of the lower range is reached. Sopranos and Tenors:
Altos and Basses:
c. Choose one of the following and sing at a quick tempo. Sing three times, starting on different pitches. Choose a comfortable vowel.
Please MAIL your CD along with your application and your sealed bishop’s recommendation to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir office with a postmark date of no later than August 15, 2017. Your application is timely by postmark regardless of when it is actually received. Please DO NOT attempt to deliver or have delivered your application package to the Choir office as security procedures do not allow hand deliveries. DO NOT include additional notes, letters, resumé, compositions, etc. Such items will be discarded and will not be seen by the music directors when evaluating applicants.
MORMON TABERANCLE CHOIR 50 North West Temple Street Salt Lake City UT 84150-0590 PLEASE CHECK: 1. 2. 3. 4.
Application is complete and signed. Bishop’s letter is included in a sealed envelope with bishop’s signature across the flap. Recording plays on a CD player with good volume. Name is written on CD.
Mormon Tabernacle Choir is an ambassador for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. ©2017 by Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved.