FROM THE FRONT PAGE
Will decide on constitutional... “judicial oversight” to deal with the consequences. Former Union Minister and senior advocate Salman Khurshid, who is assisting the court in his personal capacity, termed triple talaq as a “nonissue” saying it is not considered complete without conciliation efforts between the husband and the wife. He said there was no adjudication to determine the validity of the grounds of talaq.When the bench asked whether reconciliation after the pronouncement of triple talaq in one go is codified, Khurshid replied in the negative. Another former Union Minister and counsel for All India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB), Kapil Sibal, concurred with Khurshid and said “it’s a non-issse, as no prudent Muslim would wake up one fine morning and say talaq, talaq and talaq”. The bench continued with the hearing in the post-lunch session. The pleas before the apex court have also challenged the constitutional validity of other practices like ‘nikah halala’ and polygamy among the Muslims. The bench is also taking up the main matter on its own as a petition titled “Muslim Women’s quest for equality”. The apex court had on its own taken cognisance of the question whether Muslim women faced gender discrimination in the event of divorce or due to other marriages of their husbands. The hearing assumes significance as the apex court has decided to hear the case during the summer vacation and is likely to sit on Saturdays and Sundays to expeditiously decide the contentious and sensitive issues arising in the matter. It holds importance as the Allahabad High Court, in its verdict pronounced in the last week of April, had held the practice of triple talaq as unilateral and bad in law. The High Court had given its verdict while dismissing a petition filed by one Aaqil Jamil whose wife had filed a criminal complaint against him alleging that he had tortured her for dowry and when his demands were not met, he gave her triple talaq. The apex court had on March 30 said that the Muslim practices of triple talaq, nikah halala and polygamy are issues that are “very important” and involve “sentiments”. Influential Muslim organisations like the AIMPLB have opposed the court’s adjudication of these matters, maintaining that these practices stemmed from the Holy Quran and hence not justiciable. The Muslim women, who have filed the petitions, have challenged the practice of triple talaq in which the husband, quite often, pronounces talaq thrice in one go, sometimes even by phone or text message. Nikah Halala is a practice intended to curb the incidence of divorce under which a man cannot remarry his former wife without her having to go through the process of marrying someone else, consummating it, getting divorced, observing the separation period called ‘Iddat’ and then returning to him. Earlier, the apex court, while referring to the matter to a larger bench, had observed that “sentiments” were involved in it and a five-judge constitution bench would adjudicate the issue which needed a detailed hearing. The court had said it would decide the issues pertaining to the legal aspects of the practices of triple talaq, nikah halala and polygamy among Muslims, but would not deal with the question whether divorce under Muslim law needs to be supervised by courts as it fell under the legislative domain. The Centre had on October 7 last opposed in the Supreme Court the practice of triple talaq, nikah halala and polygamy among Muslims and favoured a relook on the grounds like gender equality and secularism. AIMPLB had on March 27 told the apex court that pleas challenging such practices among Muslims were not maintainable as the issues fell outside the realm of the judiciary. The Board had also said the validity of the Mohammedan Law, founded essentially in the Holy Quran and sources based on it, cannot be tested on particular provisions of the Constitution. It had said there was a need for “judicial restraint” before going into the constitutional interpretation of these issues unless such an exercise becomes unavoidable. The Ministry of Law and Justice, in its affidavit, had referred to the constitutional principles like gender equality, secularism, international covenants, religious practices and marital law prevalent in various Islamic countries to drive home the point that the practice of triple talaq and polygamy needed to be adjudicated upon afresh by the apex court.
6 LeT, Hizbul ultras...
The accident took place between 1 to 1.30 am at Bhontia culvert when the truck driver lost control over the vehicle. As a result, the vehicle fell into it. Ten labourers died on the spot and one succumbed to his injuries on the way to the hospital. The deceased were identified as Budhram Rawat (44), Chunni Lal Choudhary (35), Lacchu Choudhary (30), Ramnath Sarote (40), Tularam Bhoyar (35), Pradeep Halvi (19), Chhagan Kamde (30), Shankar Maskole (35), Ganesh Darvane (35), Tumeshwar Bhoyar (32) and Santu Shinde (53). Fifteen injured persons have been admitted to Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Medical College and Hospital, Jabalpur for treatment. Jabalpur Collector Mahesh Chandra Choudhry said Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has announced an ex-gratia of Rs one lakh to the kin of each of the deceased. The Chief Minister has also announced a help of Rs 50,000 for the seriously injured persons, Rs 25,000 to those who sustained ‘simple’ injuries and are admitted in hospital, and Rs 15,000 each to those who suffered minor injuries in the mishap, according to the collector. Police have registered a case and arrested the truck driver, identified as one Prahlad. A forest guard, Bhupendra Singh, who was also sitting in the vehicle, escaped from the site after the mishap, the police official added.
Woman killed as Pak... indiscriminate firing, using small arms, automatic rifles, 82 mm and 120 mm mortars, he said. A shell hit a village in Laam belt of Naushera sector this morning, killing 35-yearold Akhtar Bi and injuring her 40-year-old husband Mohmmad Hanief, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Rajouri, Yugal Manhas said. Hanief said the couple was sleeping outside their house and “when the shelling and firing started, we went inside the house. After some time, a shell hit our house and both of us were injured.” His wife died on the way to the hospital, he
Dhinakaran asked to respond to plea for his voice sample NEW DELHI, May 11 (IANS)
A COURT here on Thursday asked AIADMK leader T T V Dhinakaran, accused of attempting to bribe Election Commission officials, to file a reply on a Delhi Police plea seeking his voice sample. Special Judge Poonam Chaudhary directed Dhinakaran and his aide Sukesh Chandrashekhar to file their reply and fixed May 15 as the next date of hearing. Delhi Police have sought the court’s permission to get Dhinakaran and Chandrashekhar’s voice samples to authenticate a recorded conversation that took place between the accused.The court also extended the judicial custody of
Chandrashekhar till May 15. Dhinakaran, nephew of jailed AIADMK General Secretary V.K. Sasikala, is currently in judicial custody till May 15 over the bribery allegations. Dhinakaran is accused of having tried to obtain a favourable verdict from the poll panel so that the now frozen “two leaves” party symbol could be restored to Sasikala’s faction of the AIADMK. Chandrashekhar was arrested on April 16. On April 25, the Delhi Police Crime Branch arrested Dhinakaran for having tried to pay Rs 50 crore in bribes to the poll officials through middleman Chandrashekar to ensure the “two leaves” poll symbol was allotted to the AIADMK faction led by Sasikala.
The topper of class 12th board exam from the science stream Farhana Bavani along with her father Farooq Bavani who drives an autorickshaw after the results were announced, in Ahmedabad, on Thursday. (PTI)
Naya Raipur fails to fulfil solid waste management requisite for Smart City
HC grants bail to 1984 anti-Sikh riots case convict
■ By Roshan Chachane RAIPUR, May 11
THE Delhi High Court on Thursday granted bail for a week to a convict serving life term in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case to enable him look after his wife, who is to undergo an operation next week. A bench of Acting Chief Justice Gita Mittal and Justice Anu Malhotra released former Congress councillor Balwan Khokhar on bail as his wife is slated to undergo an operation at the AIIMS on May 15. While restraining the convict from moving out of Delhi, the bench asked him to surrender immediately after the expiry of a week starting that day. It also asked him to furnish a bail bond of Rs 25,000 with one surety of the like amount. Khokhar, who is aged, has urged the court to release him on two-month bail to look after his wife after she undergoes the operation at AIIMS. His plea was opposed by the CBI on the ground that the convict’s conduct in the past was not satisfactory. Khokhar, a retired naval officer Captain Bhagmal, Girdhari Lal and two others were held guilty in a case relating to the murder of five members of a family in Raj Nagar area of Delhi Cantonment on November 1, 1984, after the assassination of then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi. They had challenged their conviction and the award of life sentence by the trial court in May 2013.
A SOLID Waste Management (SWM) plant and a landfill site are two of the most critical infrastructural requisites for any future Smart City. But Naya Raipur, which the Chhattisgarh Government likes to show off as its jewel of progress to nation doesn’t fulfil any of these requirements as of yet. Over one and a half decade has passed yet the Naya Raipur doesn’t tick the boxes of these basic amenities crucial before laying foundation of any city. Chhattisgarh Government rushed into settle people in new city without giving a thought or two about where would the waste generated by colonies and the capitol complex will be dumped. A document obtained under RTI Act by environmentalist Nitin Singhvi revealed that contract for collection and transportation of solid waste from Naya Raipur was given to a company Bharat Vikas Group revealed a startling fact that the sol-
id waste generated at Naya Raipur is being dumped at the Sarona Landfill site. Agency doesn’t even pay a single penny to RMC for using its landfill site for disposal of waste from Naya Raipur. This makes things even more complicated as Raipur Municipal Corporation (RMC) was completely unaware of this fact till the Newspaper called up RMC Commissioner Rajat Bansal to seek his official version on the issue and he was taken aback. Moreover, Sarona landfill site has already been set in process for closure as RMC is striving for requisite clearances from concerned authorities for new landfill site at village Sakri. But it must be noted here that right of garbage dumping at Sarona landfill is exclusively reserved with RMC, proposed Sakri landfill site too is only for the 70 wards under all eight zones of old city. A recently selected 4.5 hectares (around 11 acres) landfill site for Naya Raipur at village Palaud hasn’t begun yet. Authorities will require going through the same cumber-
some processes, which the RMC is presently struggling with, before the first garbage truck could be emptied there. It may seem a bit relieving, but questions are already being raised over the size of Palaud landfill site. Singhvi said Sarona dump ground is spread over 47 acres whereas Sakri sprawls over 75 acres, but Naya Raipur, which is supposed to be planned considering population growth over 50 years, only has 4.5 hectares of land. Anyone can predict that the site will fall short of requirements within a decade, Singhvi added. RMC Commissioner Rajat Bansal, when asked, responded in surprised demeanour that he will look into the matter and actions will be taken as per rules and laws. Naya Raipur Development Authority (NRDA) CEO Rajat Kumar said that solid waste management of residential Sectors 27 and 29 is the responsibility of CG Housing Board while the filth generated at Fair ground is cleaned up by CSIDC.
‘Modi Govt created atmosphere of trust among minorities without appeasement’ NEW DELHI, May 11 (PTI)
Lt. Ummer had two bullet marks on his body -- one on his face and another in his abdomen. There were scuffle marks on the body as well. Posted with the 3 Rajputana Rifles in Akhnoor, Lt. Ummer had gone home on leave to attend a wedding. Lt Ummer, who would have turned 23 on June 8, had gone to attend the marriage of his maternal uncle’s daughter in Shopian. He was abducted from there around 10 p.m. and his bullet riddled body was found next day.
11 from Gondia...
RAIPUR Friday May 12 2017
THE Modi Government’s policy of empowering minorities “without appeasement” has created an “atmosphere of trust” among these communities over the last three years, Union Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi claimed on Thursday.
said. “We have become the sitting ducks for the target practice of Pakistan troops. They have targeted civilian population. (Indian) Army should give a befitting reply,” Hanief said. The Indian Army retaliated effectively, injuring two Pakistani jawans, defence sources said. After the Pakistani shelling, Sub Divisional Magistrate (SDM) of Nowshera tehsil issued an order, directing closure of all schools in the area as a precautionary measure. “All schools close to the LoC were shut in Nowshera tehsil of Rajouri district as a precautionary measure today following the death of a woman and injuries to her husband in shelling by the Pakistan Army,” a senior police officer said. An evacuation plan has been put in place in view of the intermittent shelling and firing along LoC, the officer said. The Government has set up camps in safer places in Naushera, he said, adding over 1200 people from Sher Makari, Namakdali and Khamba border hamlets are being shifted. According to the Home Ministry, Pakistan breached the truce along the LoC 449 times in 2016 and 405 times in 2015, killing 23 security personnel in the two-year period.
Mayawati demanded... had so much material that it could cause an “earthquake”. He also claimed that there was a threat to his life. Rebutting point-wise the charges levelled against him by at the time of his expulsion on Wednesday, Siddiqui played six audio clippings of his telephonic conversations with Mayawati to back his allegation that money had been demanded from him. Siddiqui said he possessed 150 such audio clippings. “She (Mayawati) was sore after the dismal showing of the BSP in the recent Assembly elections and termed Muslims as betrayers for not voting for the party,” Siddiqui alleged. Accusing Mayawati of having referred to “bearded Muslims as dogs”, Siddiqui claimed he had objected to the remark. He also attacked BSP General Secretary Satish Misra, alleging he was trying to weaken the party.
The Minister of State for Minority Affair’s comments come against the backdrop of often-levelled allegations that an “atmosphere of fear” is prevailing among minorities under the present BJPled Government. Speaking to reporters ahead of the NDA Government’s third
anniversary, Naqvi said it has worked to uplift the minorities by providing them education and skill-based training to ensure they become beneficiaries of mainstream development. Muslims, Buddhists, Christians, Sikhs, Parsis and Jains are the notified minority communities in the country.
NEW DELHI, May 11 (PTI)
SUSHMA SWARAJ HAS DIRECTED THE INDIAN EMBASSY IN SAUDI ARABIA TO FACILITATE THE RETURN OF 24 WORKERS FROM INDIA. (PTI)