Victorian Heritage Database Report Report generated 11/02/18
ST PATRICKS CATHEDRAL PRECINCT
ST PATRICKS CATHEDRAL PRECINCT SOHE 2008
1 st patricks cathedral east melb external view
st patricks cathedral east melb external detail
st patricks cathedral east melb college tower
st patricks cathedral extent of registration plan
st patricks cathedral east melb external entrance
2-20 GISBORNE STREET and 2-60 CATHEDRAL PLACE and 371-449 ALBERT STREET and 7-9 LANSDOWNE STREET EAST MELBOURNE, Melbourne City
Municipality MELBOURNE CITY
Level of significance Registered
Victorian Heritage Register (VHR) Number H0008
Heritage Overlay Numbers HO129
VHR Registration October 9, 1974
Amendment to Registration August 19, 1999
Heritage Listing Victorian Heritage Register
Statement of Significance Last updated on - July 1, 1999 What is significant? The site on which St Patricks Cathedral now stands was part of a five acre government grant to the Catholic Church given over the years 1848-53. The western section of the site was set aside for a church, the central portion for clergy accommodation and the eastern part was designated for educational purposes. The present St Patricks Cathedral designed by William Wardell replaces two earlier structures which were both demolished to make way for a larger church. A foundation stone was blessed on 9 April 1850 for a church designed by Samuel Jackson. This was partly built but his association with the church was discontinued in 1854 and architects George and Schneider were then appointed. The partly built sandstone church designed by Samuel Jackson was demolished. The first section of the bluestone church designed by George and Schneider opened on 14 February 1858. This was partially demolished to make way for the present cathedral proposed by architect William W Wardell. Construction commenced in 1858 and the nave and aisles were opened in 1869. The remainder of the church itself and the sacristy were completed in 1897. The spires and confessional were added and the west door rebuilt in 1936-40. The spire is higher than Wardell originally intended. The majority of stained glass in the cathedral is by Hardman of Birmingham, with two windows by Mayer of Munich and one by Montgomery. The stencilling and painting of the sanctuary is by Charles Firth and carved altars by Farmer and Brindley. C N Bell carved the throne, credence tables, bishop's chair and confessionals. The intended wall mosaics and paintings were not completed. The statue of Catholic emancipator Daniel O'Connell (1775-1847) by sculptor Sir Thomas Brock was erected by public subscription and unveiled on 30 May 1891. The statue of longserving former Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne, Dr Daniel Mannix by English sculptor Nigel Boonham, was unveiled in March 1999. The bluestone tower in the south east corner of the site is all that remains of St Patricks College. The
construction of the college, the first Diocesan Grammar school in Victoria, commenced in 1854 with the laying of the foundation stone by Bishop Goold. The architect for the building was Patrick Scanlan. Extensions to the building were carried out at some time between 1857 and 1861, by which time the existing tower had been constructed. The next major additions occurred early this century. The college closed in December 1968, and the majority of St Patricks College was demolished in January 1971 after a lengthy but unsuccessful campaign by the National Trust. It was replaced by a largely subterranean building comprising offices, hall and presbytery designed by Roy Simpson of Yuncken Freeman Architects.
How is it significant? St Patricks Cathedral precinct is of architectural and historical importance to the state of Victoria. Why is it significant? It is of architectural importance as the largest Gothic revival building in Victoria and one of the finest works of prominent Victorian architect William Wardell with impressive scale and masterly handling of space. The apsidal chevet chapels, ambulatory and sanctuary based on French models are of particular note. The stained glass by Hardman of Birmingham and Mayer of Munich. The remaining tower of St Patricks College is interesting for its concave roof. The offices and presbytery, while the result of demolition of the St Patricks College buildings, are of architectural importance as an outstanding work of Roy Simpson, of Yuncken and Freeman. The unusual subterranean design around the central circular courtyard allows the cathedral to dominate the surrounding area and opens up the vistas to it. The sympathetic use of materials, low profile and use of water ponds to the roofs fronting Victoria Parade helps the offices and presbytery to seem more of a landscape element than a building. The cathedral, and the furniture and objects within the cathedral which were designed by Wardell reflect the strong influence of Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin (1812-1842) and his writings on medieval architecture and Catholicism. Pugin's designs for buildings extended to the design of objects such as chalices, lamps, and even to the vestments. St Patricks Cathedral precinct is of historic importance as being the centre of Roman Catholic activity in Victoria since its opening in 1869. The cathedral building is of historical importance for the way in which its scale and monumentality reflect the change in Melbourne from a provincial town to a prosperous provincial city following the goldrushes in Victoria. St Patricks College is of historical importance as Victoria's first Catholic secondary school and the second home of the original seminary in the colony. The school was conducted by the Jesuit fathers from 1854-1968.
Permit Exemptions The following permit exemptions apply to the sacristy (B-2): Interior painting to walls , provided the preparation work does not remove evidence of the buildingâ€™s original paint or other decorative scheme. Removal of existing carpets and flexible floor coverings. Installation of carpet and flexible floor coverings.
The following permit exemption applies to the office building (B-4) and the presbytery (B-5): 1. All interior works. The following permit exemptions apply to the landscaped areas: The process of gardening; mowing, hedge clipping, bedding displays, removal of dead plants, disease and weed control, emergency and safety works and landscaping and planting to retain the existing landscape character. The replanting of plant species to conserve the landscape character. Management of trees in accordance with Australian Standard; Pruning of amenity trees AS 4373. Removal of plants listed as State Prohibited and Regionally Controlled Weeds in the Catchment and Land Protection Act 1994. Repairs, conservation and maintenance to hard landscape elements, sculpture, fountains, monuments, steps, asphalt paths and roadways, edging, fences and gates. Installation, removal or replacement of garden watering and drainage systems.
Wardell, William W.,
Heritage Act Categories Heritage place, Heritage object/s, Other Names
ST PATRICK'S CATHEDRAL,
Assessment Against Criteria Criterion A The historical importance, association with or relationship to Victoria's history of the place or object. Criterion B The importance of a place or object in demonstrating rarity or uniqueness. Criterion C The place or object's potential to educate, illustrate or provide further scientific investigation in relation to Victoria's cultural heritage. Criterion D The importance of a place or object in exhibiting the principal characteristics or the representative nature of a place or object as part of a class or type of places or objects. Criterion E The importance of the place or object in exhibiting good design or aesthetic characteristics and/or in exhibiting a richness, diversity or unusual integration of features. Criterion F The importance of the place or object in demonstrating or being associated with scientific or technical innovations or achievements. Criterion G The importance of the place or object in demonstrating social or cultural associations. Criterion H Any other matter which the Council considers relevant to the determination of cultural heritage significance
Extent of Registration NOTICE OF REGISTRATION As Executive Director for the purpose of the Heritage Act, I give notice under section 46 that the Victorian Heritage Register is amended by including the Heritage Register Number 8 in the category described as a Heritage Place is now described as: St Patrick Cathedral Precinct, Cathedral Place, East Melbourne, Melbourne City Council. EXTENT: 1. All of the land marked L1 on Diagram 601951A held by the Executive Director, being all of the land described in Certificates of Title Volume 2209 Folio 644, Volume 2394 Folio 704, Volume 2209 Folio 677 and Volume 3694 Folio 694. 2. All the buildings, including, all the fences and hard landscaping, the Cathedral marked B1, the Sacristy B2, the remnant tower of St Patrick's College B3, the offices B4, the Presbytery B5, B6 the statue of Daniel O'Connell and B7 the statue of Archbishop Daniel Mannix on Diagram 601951A held by the Executive Director. 3. The following objects: pair of Blackwood credence tables, Wardell; Blackwood Faldstool, Wardell; Pair of brass Sanctuary lamps, Wardell; Brass Eagle lectern, Wardell; Pair of brass gasoliers to either side of original
sanctuary, Wardell; The brass sanctuary Gong, Wardell; 2 gold chalices, Wardell; The Monstrance, Wardell; Pectoral Cross, Wardell. Dated 5 August 1999. RAY TONKIN Executive Director [Victoria Government Gazette G 33 19 August 1999 p.1915] This place/object may be included in the Victorian Heritage Register pursuant to the Heritage Act 1995. Check the Victorian Heritage Database, selecting 'Heritage Victoria' as the place data owner. For further details about Heritage Overlay places, contact the relevant local council or go to Planning Schemes Onlinehttp://planningschemes.dpcd.vic.gov.au/