Volume 11 December 2006
History OUR HISTORY
Jonathan K. Gerland Director
Permanence. It’s a word not heard often in today’s world of disposable obsolescence. It wasn’t heard much in East Texas sawmill towns during the 1940s either. The virgin forests were no more, as well as dozens of lumber companies and the communities they once sustained. Into this environment stepped an energetic young man still in his twenties who willed progressive change, both technological and social. He inherited his family’s lumber business, moved to Diboll, and invested heavily in the area’s greatest resources: its forests and its people. He was a visionary, the press said, even then, and he possessed the talent, means, and good fortune to realize his dreams, as well as assisting others in realizing theirs. Arthur Temple was truly a legend in his own time. To him and his legacy, this issue of The Pine Bough is gratefully dedicated. We also lovingly dedicate this issue to the memory of Brandi Clark, our research assistant who passed away all too soon in early August. Brandi was one of the most giving and compassionate persons you could ever hope to know. Although she was small in stature, her many acts of kindness were large. She lived life with gusto and her example challenges us always to choose joy no matter what life throws our way. Another lady known for her compassion, great works of kindness and encouragement was Miss Ina McCall, Burke’s postmistress from 1914 to 1955. Doing more than just handing out the mail, she influenced several generations to greatness. Her devotion to her community is seldom seen today. The History Center this year proudly received a scrapbook assembled in 1955 in Miss Ina McCall’s honor, and we are pleased to feature it in this issue. It is our hope at The History Center that 2007 will be lived the way those who are featured in this issue faced their days, with great anticipation and a willingness to serve. We are all history in the making. Make it count!
Jonathan K. Gerland Diboll, Texas
CONTENTS FEATURES Miss Ina McCall: Burke’s Postmistress and Friend . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2 by Emily Hyatt PAGE 12
Arthur Temple . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .10 In Memory of Brandi Clark . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .38
THE PINE BOUGH Vol. 11
A history magazine published annually by The History Center, the Archives Division of the T. L. L. Temple Memorial Library & Archives, Diboll, Texas.
Scrapbook Pages . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .20 T.L.L. Temple Memorial Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .20 Gossett Brothers . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .21 Baseball . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .22,31 Neches River. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 23-27 Railroads . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .23,24,26,27 Hoshall . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .28 Burke . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .28,29 Fastrill. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 29 Temperance Rally . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .30 World War II . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .32,33
Jonathan K. Gerland, Editor Emily E. Hyatt, Assistant Editor Unless otherwise noted, all images herein are from the holdings of The History Center. ©Copyright 2006 by The History Center, T. L. L. Temple Memorial Library & Archives. All rights reserved. Reproduction of this issue or any portion of it is expressly prohibited without written permission of the publisher.
A List of Firsts in Diboll . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .34 compiled by Patsy Colbert, Louis Landers, and Jonathan Gerland News & Notices . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .40
About the cover: Front: Burke and McCall store and Burke Post Office. Oil painting by John Copeland. Original donated by the family of Judge Harold Crager. Back, top: Burke and McCall store and Post Office. Oil painting by Robert M. Jones. Original owned by the Zusle Rush Family. Back, bottom: Texas State Railroad bridge over the Neches River, April 22, 2006. Photo by Jonathan Gerland. PAGE 4 The History Center 102 N. Temple Diboll, TX 75941 phone: (936) 829-3543 fax: (936) 829-3556 www.TheHistoryCenterOnline.com
Staff: Jonathan K. Gerland, Director Emily E. Hyatt, Archivist Patsy Colbert, Assistant Archivist Louis Landers, Archival Assistant Justin Barkley, Saturday Research Assistant
The History Center Committee: Ellen Temple, Chair Jonathan Gerland, Executive Director Stacy Cooke Kathy Sample Pete Smart Kenneth Williams Kathy Sample, Chair, Board of Directors, T. L. L. Temple Memorial Library & Archives
Layout/Design by Jay Brittain
McCall: Burke’s Postmistress and Friend by Emily E. Hyatt
n the days before frequent phone calls, email, text messaging, and cell phones, a small town’s post office became its residents’ connection to the outside world. At the post office, farmers and lumbermen, housewives and school children could pick up packages ordered from mail-order catalogues like Sears and Montgomery Wards, send letters to far-flung family members and receive news from friends from around the world. With no rural delivery, everyone had to pick up their mail directly at the post office, making it a social hub and place where neighbors caught up on community news. The Angelina County community of Burke was no exception. As in many rural areas, Burke’s post office was for many years located in the local general store, allowing residents to collect their mail at the same time they purchased their flour and sugar. Presiding over this community hub from September 21, 1914 to August 31, 1955 was Miss Ina Eret McCall, known simply as “Miss Ina” to Burke’s citizens young and old. As postmistress of Burke and one of the proprietors of her family’s store, Miss Ina held court with grace and kindness, passing out mail and candy with equal parts efficiency and generosity. She had her finger on the pulse of Burke and became confidant and comforter to many of her customers as they retrieved letters from family and friends containing good and bad news alike. Traditionally, postal workers in small towns knew what was happening in every family since they knew who’s son wrote regularly from his post overseas and who’s daughter hadn’t sent a letter in 10 years. They were there when the notes held the joyous news of a baby’s birth and when a letter told of the death of a beloved mother. From the recollections of many of Burke’s residents it seems that Miss Ina didn’t use this knowledge to spread gossip through the community, 2
above: Miss Ina McCall, born August 22, 1883, in later years. Miss Ina died shortly before her 87th birthday, on July 29, 1970. right: Portions of more than 150 cards and letters Miss Ina received upon her retirement. Miss Nobie Campbell solicited the cards and notes for Miss Ina’s retirement gift, and they came in great number from near and far. It is evident from both the number of cards sent and the sincerity of their notes that Miss Ina was well loved by many generations of Burke residents and former residents.
but provided a safe place for folks to gather and talk things out, always handing out welcomed advice and a wise word when asked. At her retirement, the Burke community banned together and provided Miss Ina with several gifts. They purchased her a television in the hope that she would relax and enjoy her golden years, but it seems that the community’s other gift would have provided her with many more hours of enjoyment. This other, more meaningful gift was a scrapbook, compiled by Mrs. Nobie Campbell, containing letters from former and current Burke citizens detailing what Miss Ina meant to them. These letters came from across Texas and across the country, and even from across the world, testifying to Miss Ina’s influence. The 157 cards and 10 photographs in this scrapbook provide a unique look into one woman’s positive impact on her small community. THE PINE BOUGH
This photo from Miss Ina’s scrapbook shows the Houston East & West Texas Railway depot at Burke, ca. 1900. Note the Post Office sign at the left end of the building. Daniel Bynum McCall, Miss Ina’s father, was both railroad station agent and postmaster. He also co-owned the Burke and McCall Store with his son-in-law, Lee Burke. In this photo, Daniel McCall stands on the platform under the Wells Fargo sign, with his railroad watch fob visible. At some point, the post office moved from the depot building to the Burke and McCall Store, where Miss Ina worked.
Miss Ina gave candy to children sent to pick up their family’s mail, she extended store credit to families during hard times, and she reportedly kept a ready supply of cheese and crackers on hand for school children whose parents could not provide a lunch for them. While all of the letters contained in Miss Ina’s scrapbook give heartfelt thanks for her years of service to Burke, many of them contain specific remembrances and tributes for acts of kindness and words of wisdom. In her letter to Miss Ina in 1955, Ruby McGinnis thanked the postmistress for a specific act of kindness. On January 1, 1918, a day so cold the railroad ties froze, Miss Ina gave young Ruby her coat so she could walk home in the biting wind. Though her mother had to thaw her out because her shoes froze to her feet, Miss Ina had insured she
made it home without frostbite. Ruby remembered this generous act as one in a life of generosity, in which Miss Ina gave her pencils and paper for school when she couldn’t buy them and “fancy candy” when she came into the post office and store. In a long and heartfelt letter, Ola Johnston thanked Miss Ina for her service to her family and to the community. She recalled how Miss Ina would extend the post office’s hours to accommodate workers who needed her services and how she would get up in the middle of the night and open the store when someone needed to use the telephone. She also recalled how during World War II Miss Ina would work tirelessly to see that families received messages from their sons, fathers, and husbands away at war and would help mothers write letters to their sons
THE PINE BOUGH
stationed in far away places. Ola reminded Miss Ina of a time, probably one of many, when she allowed a young boy to trade one egg for his first school tablet, telling him how proud she was he was going to school. She also remarks that Miss Ina probably had more namesakes than anyone but a president, as many of the children she impacted over the years grew up and named daughters for her.
It is clear that though Miss Ina played a valuable role in the lives of Burke’s citizens by sorting their mail, she also impacted their lives on a personal level. The Holder family wrote to Miss Ina “It’s amazing how you could be so interested in all of us - children and all who came your way. You are a true friend to all, because you see only the good in us.” Emmet Samford, writing from Fleury-En-Biere, France, recalled how going
The Burke Post Office was located in the Burke and McCall Store in this ca. 1920 photo. The Masonic Lodge owned the building and met on the second floor.
to Burke meant going to the post office and store. He thanked Miss Ina for her “calm courage and confidence” in “those desperate, trying years of depression in the thirties…” Mrs. Earl Smith thanked Miss Ina for her service as postmistress, but also for the graduation gift in 1943, “a beautiful box of handkerchiefs,” even though she sent her no invitation. Perhaps best summing up the community’s feelings, the Monk Warners wrote “We would like to express our appreciation for the thousands of small things you have done in the past which were more important to us than handing out the mail.” Included with their note is a photo of Monk Warner and his son Richard. Over all, it is clear from these small remembrances that Miss Ina’s character and servant spirit shone through her daily tasks. As an example, a poem from Mr. and Mrs. C.E. Bell:
And from Wilfred and Cordia Edens, written on Edens-Birch Lumber Company letterhead, comes this: “When we came to Burke in 1912 we soon realized that Miss Ina of McCall & Burke’s General Store played a very important role in the daily affairs of the community in her ever willingness to be of help and service to her fellow man.” Finally, a fitting tribute from Franklin Weeks, honoring Miss Ina with words from Matthew 25. “I know of no person that is more entitled to hear the words spoken to than you: ‘Well done, thy good and faithful servant. Thou has been faithful over these few things; I will make you master over many.’” Miss Ina’s character lived on in Burke long after she retired. Miss Lizzie Parrish, who ran the Burke postal substation after Miss Ina’s retirement in 1955 and before
Miss Ina McCall your life and service has been an inspiration to us we know, With all the courtesy to your many friends did show. And with a worthy task each day to do, You met the world anew each morning with a how do you do. The Monk Warner Family enclosed this photograph in their thank you letter to Miss Ina. The young boy is Richard Warner, who recently retired as president of Temple-Inland, Inc.
THE PINE BOUGH
Part of an appreciation letter to Miss Ina from Wilfred and Cordia Edens. Other members of the Edens family and Edens-Birch Lumber Company also wrote a similar letter.
After the Burke Post Office closed (upon Miss Ina’s retirement) mail came through the Diboll post office. Lizzie Parrish ran the Burke Substation, which allowed Burke residents without home delivery to receive their mail in town, rather than having to drive to the Diboll office. Here, Miss Lizzie lowers the flag outside the substation for the last time on August 31, 1980, while Johnny Rush and Stacy Smith look on.
rural delivery from Diboll became the norm in Burke, was most impressed with Miss Ina’s “unselfish dealings with others” and her “desire to always put others…” first, and “render aid to those that need it most, regardless of class, race, or social standing…” She added that she hoped to model these traits as she continued to serve the people of Burke. From these few examples, it seems that for a period of about 41 years, Miss Ina McCall was synonymous with Burke. It would be difficult to find one individual who had a greater impact on that community through the years, and her memory is still dearly held. Looking back, it is apparent that she provided a needed sense of stability in a town that changed with the turbulent events of the 20th century. Her tenure as postmistress encompassed World War I, the 1918 Spanish influenza epidemic, the Great Depression, World War II, and the post war years of change. She held her post as railroads rose and fell in importance, as cars replaced horses as the common form of rural transportation, and throughout all of the ups and downs of the lumber industry that influenced so many of her customers and their families. Miss Ina was a true East Texas treasure.
this page: This railroad mail shed served the Burke Post Office from at least the 1940s through 1955. Longtime Burke resident Catherine Lee recalls her sons John and George “Bo” each helping Miss Ina with the mail sacks here. Both photos were made by traveling photographer Fred M. Springer in 1948. It is interesting that passenger train service ended in August 1955, the same time that the Burke Post Office closed, although it is uncertain if the two events were connected.
opposite page: Miss Ina McCall at the Burke Post Office, ca. 1955.
THE PINE BOUGH
Arthur Temple 1985.
THE PINE BOUGH
RTEMPLE Arthur Temple (1920-2006)
fiber and engineered wood technologies, engaging in mortgage finance and banking, and even acquiring company airplanes. Temple took the company public in rthur Temple, who built his grandfather’s 1969 and orchestrated the massively profitable merger sawmill business into the forest products and financial with Time, Inc. in 1973 and a lucrative spin-off of services giant Temple-Inland Inc. and instituted reforms Temple-Inland Inc. in 1984. that modernized the Southern lumber industry, passed He was a respected industry leader in matters of away this past April at the age of 86. A larger than life trade as well as issues of the environment. He set high figure in East Texas and wherever his business interests standards for the perpetuation of the forests and was the took him, his over six foot frame, love of Diboll and the first major industry leader to support creation of the Big outdoors, and his tenacity inside and outside the Thicket National Preserve. boardroom endeared him to many East He was also a visionary in social Texans and made him a force to be reckreforms. He transformed Diboll from a oned with for others. company sawmill town with dirt roads, His business acumen and boundless roaming livestock, and poor housing energy was legendary. By the age of into a model city with an elected gov29 he was already president of five ernment and award winning public business concerns, vice-president services, including libraries, schools, of five more, a director in ten othand parks. ers, and held active leadership roles Although he could be ruthless in countless additional enterprises in the boardroom, Temple’s decisions both big and small. In all of them were not without compassion and care he wielded a Midas touch and an for people, especially his employees uncanny ability to attract and recruit whom he always considered as fellow young, quality talent. These abilities laborers. He truly loved East Texas and its remained with him the rest of his life. people and often went on record to say that East Temple began his career with the famTexas could accomplish more by accident than Arthur Temple at seven months old. ily business upon leaving the University of most regions could by design. Texas at the age of 18 to work as a bookAs chairman of the board of the T.L.L. keeper at the Paris, Texas retail lumber yard. He soon Temple Foundation from 1962 to 2000, he was able to transferred to the Lufkin yard, becoming manager in do what he loved best, serve and support the people of 1941, and made it the most profitable retail yard in the East Texas. At the time of his death, his family foundacompany. In 1948 he became executive vice-president tion had awarded more than $250 million to educationand manager of Southern Pine Lumber Company at al, cultural, and health projects throughout East Texas. Diboll. After the death of his father in 1951, Temple The History Center was often the recipient of rose to president and chief executive officer and Arthur Temple’s generosity, whether through funds, the embarked on a rapid course of plant expansion and donation of family papers and artifacts, or the gifts of modernization. his time, energy, and advocacy. Arthur Temple left a Among his early progressive ideas were hiring unilarge legacy throughout East Texas, and The History versity-trained foresters and engineers, pioneering wood Center is proud to be a part of it and to preserve it.
“Temple grew up in privileged yet humble surroundings. Although he held honorary doctorate degrees, powerful business affiliations, wealth and influence, and was a big man with a powerful reach, Temple was known more for the hand he held out for others.”
“Arthur Temple was easily the ‘Man of the Century’ of East Texas.” -- Charles Wilson, former United States Congressman, The Lufkin Daily News, Thursday, April 13, 2006
-- Gary Willmon and Bronwyn Turner, The Lufkin Daily News, Wednesday, April 12, 2006
above: Arthur Temple Sr. Family in about 1926: Arthur Temple Sr. and wife Katherine Sage with children Arthur Jr. and Ann Whitney. right: Sporting a Buster Brown outfit, young Arthur Temple poses with his sister Ann at their home in Texarkana in about 1923. opposite page: As this whimsical “smoking hat” photo from 1963 suggests, Arthur Temple personified energy.
THE PINE BOUGH
“Of all the men I have known during my entire life, Arthur had the most integrity, the most compassion and the most love for his fellow man and for East Texas.”
“I loved him. He was my hero and always will be.” -- Charles Wilson, former United States Congressman, The Lufkin Daily News, Thursday, April 13, 2006
-- Charles Wilson, former United States Congressman, The Lufkin Daily News, Thursday, April 13, 2006
“I never had a brother, but there couldn’t be anyone closer to me like a brother than Arthur.” -- Joe Denman, former Temple Executive, The Lufkin Daily News, Thursday, April 13, 2006
“Arthur made a lot of dreams for a lot of people come true. He could be tough - don’t get me wrong - but he was also one of the most unselfish and warmhearted persons you could ever know. He did so many things for so many people.” -- Joe Denman, former Temple Executive, The Lufkin Daily News, Thursday, April 13, 2006
Father and son, Arthur Temple Sr. and Jr. in about 1950 at the Boggy Slough Clubhouse.
Arthur Temple Jr., ca. 1939.
“Do it right, but do it right now” was Arthur Temple’s motto from the beginning of his business career. The slogan was printed on signs and stickers and placed nearly everywhere as reminders for employees. The signs could be found on executive’s desks and throughout the industrial plants, even on the underside of at least one toilet seat in a men’s restroom!
THE PINE BOUGH
“He was one of the best businessmen I ever met. He taught me a lot.” --Murphy George, Angelina County businessman, The Lufkin Daily News, Thursday, April 13, 2006
“Arthur was one of the more unique and irreplaceable individuals of his time. His business acumen and charitable endeavors are legendary.” -- Bill Temple, cousin, The Lufkin Daily News, Thursday, April 13, 2006
Arthur Temple Jr. Family in about 1949: Arthur and wife Mary McQuiston with children Arthur “Buddy” III and Charlotte Ann.
Arthur Temple and Milver Scarborough push box number one million down the rollers at the Arthur Temple Jr & Associates Box Factory in Diboll in May 1953. Paul “Bunny” Hogue (to Temple’s right), Horace Stubblefield (behind Hogue) and Jeanette Rector look on. This box factory broke several production records making ammunition boxes for the U.S. military during the early 1950s. DECEMBER 2006
“… He never expected anybody to work longer and harder than what he was willing to do. And he did work hard.” -- Philip Leach, attorney, The Lufkin Daily News, Thursday, April 13, 2006
“Arthur Temple cared about his family, he cared about his country, he cared about the city of Diboll - but most of all he cared about the people. There were no boundaries for Mr. Temple. His caring and compassion have reached far outside the boundaries of Angelina County.” -- James Simms, Mayor of Diboll, The Lufkin Daily News, Thursday, April 13, 2006
Arthur Temple 1963. Arthur Temple Jr., ca. 1950..
Arthur Temple was Diboll Day’s biggest supporter. Here, he enjoys the day with longtime company construction boss and railroad roadmaster Dred Devereaux and State Senator Charlie Wilson on October 6, 1966.
THE PINE BOUGH
“He was for all East Texas. He was our guardian angel.” -- Jack Sweeny, C.E.O. Temple-Inland Forest Products Corp., The Lufkin Daily News, Thursday, April 13, 2006
“Mr. Temple was somebody who could put his arm around somebody in one of the mills and make them feel comfortable. And he could stand in a board meeting in New York and make those people feel comfortable.” -- Jack Sweeny, C.E.O. Temple-Inland Forest Products Corp., The Lufkin Daily News, Thursday, April 13, 2006
Arthur Temple (center) is welcomed to the New York Stock Exchange on September 26, 1969 by NYSE Executive Vice President John Cunningham (left) and stock specialist Morris E. Goldstein of M.E. Goldstein & Co., Inc. Note the “TEM” ticker symbol on the board in the background. The stock opened at 22.75. Mr. Temple made the initial transaction consisting of 100 shares. Before trading closed at the end of the day, a total of 4,900 shares had traded on the Exchange. Prior to being listed on the NYSE, Temple Industries’ first public stock offering was through a group of underwriters headed by Burnham & Company and Rauscher Pierce & Company in May 1969. DECEMBER 2006
“He was a leader in the forest products industry for the whole nation… and was well thought of by the industry from the East Coast to the West Coast. He was bigger than this area - a truly dynamic leader proved many times.
“He was very proud to be from Diboll, Texas. He never forgot his town, his roots.” --Jerry Huffman, CEO of Lufkin/Angelina Chamber of Commerce
-- Harold Maxwell, former Temple Executive, The Lufkin Daily News, Thursday, April 13, 2006
Temple Studs: Temple-Eastex officers and directors posed for this photo in 1977, part of Time Inc.’s Forest Products Group. From the left: Joe C. Denman, David H. Dolben, Kenneth Nelson, Ward R. Burke (top), Rex P. Condit, Henry H. Holubec, Jr., and Arthur Temple.
Arthur Temple and his second wife of thirtyeight years, Lottie Dean Temple (19272002).
bottom right: Arthur Temple, third from left wearing chaps, inspects timber operations in about 1950. Left to right: George Thompson, Eddie Farley, Temple, and Kenneth Nelson.
THE PINE BOUGH
“He was a man who bordered on genius. He loved the people of Diboll, and they reciprocated.” -- Ward Burke, attorney, The Lufkin Daily News, Thursday, April 13, 2006
“… Arthur will forever be remembered for his great compassion and care for people. Arthur is a person that I admired, I respected, and more than all that, that I loved. He was a truly great man.” -- Kenny Jastrow, Temple-Inland Chairman and C.E.O., Diboll Free Press, Wednesday, April 19, 2006
Arthur Temple with wife Lottie, son and daughter-inlaw Buddy and Ellen, and daughter Charlotte at the Stephen F. Austin State University Department of Forestry’s 50th anniversary banquet. At this October 18, 1996 banquet the department was renamed the Arthur Temple College of Forestry.
Mother and son, Katherine Sage Temple and Arthur Temple at a Diboll Day in the early 1980s. DECEMBER 2006
Arthur Temple and third wife Ann Shands Temple. 19
During special Bicentennial beautification improvements, members of the Town Enhancement Committee planted 200 live oaks around the city of Diboll. They planted the first tree at the T.L.L. Temple Memorial Library. Members on hand for this photo in August 1976 were, left to right, Betty Cooke, Nancy Holubec, Joe Bob Hendrick, Louise Maxwell, Jeff Holberg, Committee Chairs Ellen Temple and Nan Miller, Sam Glass and Ray Paulsey.
A 2006 artist’s rendering from Goodwin-Lasiter Architects shows the upcoming $2 million renovation and new entrance to the library. Architects report that the first bicentennial live oak will be saved.
The same “first” oak as it appeared 30 years later, in December 2006. The liberty tree stands on the southwest corner of the library grounds, between the library and the south parking lot entrance. Photo by Jonathan Gerland.
THE PINE BOUGH
Some of the most anticipated events at the annual Texas Forest Festival were the Lumbermen’s Day Contests. This trophy, recently donated by the Temple Family, commemorates the Southern Pine Lumber Company team’s victory in these popular contests in 1949, 1950, 1951, and 1952. Each lumber company would enter a team that competed in a number of events like log chopping, log sawing with a crosscut saw, log sawing with a bow saw, and log loading. Contest organizers awarded points to the winners of each contest, and the company whose team accumulated the most points would win the overall contest. After winning the overall contest 4 years in a row, Southern Pine Lumber Company received the trophy permanently. Brothers Laymon and Ira Gossett were champion log choppers and sawyers. Since the nature of the sawyer trade required that they worked for whichever local company had timber to cut, they plied their trade for several East Texas lumber companies, including Southern Pine Lumber Company and W.T. Carter & Brother. They sawed for whichever company’s team happened to employ them at the time, but they usually won the events they entered. In an undated document from the time, records show that Layman Gossett, working then for the W.T. Carter & Brother Company, won the log-chopping contest, chopping a 10 inch diameter pine log in just under 26 seconds, 14 seconds ahead of Southern Pine’s Albert Mitchell, the second place winner. The Gossett brothers won the log sawing with a crosscut saw contest that same year, sawing a 24” diameter pine log in less than 44 seconds, just over 1 second faster than second place winners C.T. Phipps and Wiley Simmons of Southern Pine.
Charles Anthony recently donated his Diboll Millers baseball uniform and a July 1951 photo of himself wearing it. He poses with the items on display in October of this year. The uniform is heavy white wool with blue pin striping and red and blue trim. Diboll is spelled out in red letters and the socks are white with blue stripes.
Charles Anthony poses in his Diboll Millers baseball uniform in July 1951 in front of his house located about where the Jack in the Box is situated now, in 2006. 22
THE PINE BOUGH
Scrapbook Pages Adrian Van Dellen of Woodville made these interesting Neches River photos from the seat of his canoe. More than three dozen of Van Dellen’s photos were featured in our summer Neches River exhibit.
The abandoned Texas South-Eastern Railroad bridge across the Neches River between Angelina and Trinity counties in 2006. Known as the “Neches Valley Route,” TSE tracks first crossed the Neches here in 1906, then followed the river all the way to the Texas State Railroad between Rusk and Palestine. More than 60 miles of continuous logging railroad in Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Cherokee, and Anderson counties brought timber to the Diboll sawmills before this bridge closed in the 1960s, although most of the logging railroad in Houston, Cherokee, and Anderson counties was abandoned in the 1940s.
Southern Pine Lumber Company railroad bridge pilings just upstream from the mouth of Box Creek (Cherokee County), about two river miles upstream from the Highway 21 bridge. Houston County is on the left side of the river and Cherokee is on the right side in this view looking upstream in June 2006.
Abandoned pilings of the Camden-Manning railroad bridge that operated from the early 1920s to the middle 1950s, located just downstream from the mouth of Piney Creek, near the Polk-Tyler County line. The bridge was built jointly by the Carter-Kelley and W.T. Carter and Brother lumber companies to connect their logging operations and allow options for shipping lumber from their mills at Manning (Angelina County) and Camden (Polk County). 2005 photo. DECEMBER 2006
A group of finely dressed Diboll youth poses on the Houston East & West Texas Railway Bridge over the Neches River, south of Diboll, in about 1910. Bertha Mann, daughter of the town doctor, stands between the rails holding flowers, perhaps on her birthday.
In this photo from 2006 by Adrian Van Dellen, the former Houston East & West Texas Railway Bridge (now owned by Union Pacific and still in operation) is seen from the seat of Van Dellen’s canoe with remnants of the old State Highway 35 Bridge visible in the foreground, view looking west.
THE PINE BOUGH
Wendell and Ima (Wilkerson) Weisinger of Diboll pose with the US Highway 59 Bridge in about 1945. According to Texas Department of Transportation records, the State Highway 35 bridge was replaced by the US Highway 59 bridge in 1943. In 1963 the northbound bridge was built and the original bridge became southbound. In 1996 both bridges were widened.
This 2006 photo, also made by Adrian Ven Dellen from his canoe, shows a log truck crossing the southbound US Highway 59 bridge over the Neches River, leaving Angelina County and entering Polk County.
Scrapbook Pages 1
THE PINE BOUGH
Scrapbook Pages 3 For most of 2006 the destiny of the Texas State Railroad seemed perilous. The Fastrill Reservoir proposal threatened to flood the line’s Neches River bridge, while other difficulties, including funding issues, otherwise crippled operations. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Department’s creation of the North Neches River National Wildlife Refuge in June thwarted the reservoir project and various reprieves from the state legislature throughout the year kept the line alive, if not thriving. Still, the state park’s fate after summer 2007, when funding runs out again, remains uncertain. 1 and 2: On a beautiful spring day in April 2006, Texas State Railroad Engine 300 led its train from Palestine to Rusk across the Neches River bridge (photo 1). Shortly afterward, the Rusk to Palestine train crossed the bridge, led by diesel-electric Engine 7 not visible (photo 2). Engine 300, an 83-ton 1917 Baldwin General Pershing Class 2-8-0 steam locomotive, was donated to the Texas State Railroad State Historical Park by Temple Industries in 1972. It has been the line’s 4 only regularly operated steam locomotive the past several years. Photos by Jonathan Gerland. 3 and 4: Two views of a Texas State Railroad bridge crew posing on an early timber trestle across the Neches River in about 1910. This trestle, first constructed in 1908-1909, was replaced with a concrete bridge in 1980. All of the line’s other timber trestles were rebuilt as concrete bridges between 1981 and 1996. Photos courtesy of the Texas State Railroad State Historical Park.
Billie Jeanne Kizer (Crager) and Sonny McCarty pose as Burke’s Junior Tomato King and Queen, in about 1937.
Workers at the Hoshall sawmill, located on the HE&WT Railway between Burke and Lufkin, ca. 1938-1939. The men are, left to right, top row, Thomas Mullins, Melvin Ivy, Uncle Monroe Johnson, Lee Mullins, Condie Thompson, and Byrd Parker. Front row, Charlie Foster, Charlie Breazeale, Lee Frost, Elby Massingill, Ray Smith, Zolen Mullins, Jack Parker, and Gorden McCarty. It is believed the mill had a capacity of about 20,000 board feet of lumber per day and was owned at various times by J. V. Lankford & Sons, Luke Wright, John Oliver, and a man named Switchhammer. The mill’s railroad location was known as Fairchild’s Switch and Hoshall was also known at various times as Collwood and Bitterweed Flat. The mill probably operated between the 1910s and 1940s. 28
THE PINE BOUGH
Scrapbook Pages Southern Pine Lumber Company locomotive engineer Ramsey Minton enjoys a rare snowfall with daughter Charlene “Sally” and son Douglas “Bill” at Fastrill in the winter of 19391940 at Fastrill, a thriving Cherokee County logging camp between 1922 and 1941.
Miss Tennie Havard’s first grade class at Burke School poses with their Christmas decorations in about 1953. First row, left to right: Donald Graham, Donald Stringer, Danny Prater, Charles Ray Hambrick, Raymond Day. Second row, left to right: Odell Conner, Rena Faye King, Amy Baker, Inez Prater, Linda Sharman, unknown, Bobby Hambrick, Linda Martin. Third Row, left to right: Patricia Sharman, Michael Johns, Charles McCall, Joe Bob Thigpen. Fourth Row, left to right: Leon Tidwell, Dwayne Lane, Pat Travis, Miss Tennie Havard, Larry Miller.
According to this report in the Dallas Morning News on May 9, 1913, Angelina County voted to remain dry in 1913. With all but 2 voting boxes counted, the prohibitionists won by 432 votes, increasing the margin of victory by 286 votes, up from a 146-vote margin in 1911, when the county initially voted to be dry. Pollock, Platt, and Rocky Hill were the only 3 precincts that voted against prohibition.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the temperance and prohibition movements gained momentum throughout the United States. These movements were largely led by women, who viewed prohibition as an essential issue impacting the health of the American family. In this photo, taken circa 1911 on Lufkin Avenue looking toward Cotton Square, the women and children of Lufkin held a rally and march in favor of prohibition, urging the county’s men to vote for temperance and close the saloons. Donated by Ward Burke from his family’s collection, this photograph is a reminder that the recent wet/dry election in Angelina County was not a new issue.
THE PINE BOUGH
In the 2005 issue of the Pine Bough (p. 51) we mentioned that Franklin Weeks had recently told us the lumberjack was not always Diboll’s school mascot. He seemed to remember that a demon was the mascot when he graduated in 1932. School records from that era are rare, but we did find the demon name used, at least unofficially, in Lufkin newspapers from 1931 through at least 1933. Here is one clipping from the Lufkin Weekly News of March 27, 1931, p. 3, when the Diboll “Demons” baseball team beat the Lufkin Panthers 6-5. The Dr. Crabb mentioned in the article was apparently a Southern Pine Lumber Company doctor and one of the “Demons’” biggest fans.
Scrapbook Pages 2 In response to last year’s World War II exhibit and Pine Bough, several families donated or brought to our attention new photographs of area World War II veterans. We are pleased to include them here. 1
1. Nursing Recruiter Alice Jeannette Durham Yust was a captain in the Army Nursing Corps during the war. She was the daughter of Paul Durham, Sr. and Mary Lou Rushing Durham and sister of Paul Durham, longtime editor of Diboll’s Free Press newspaper. 2. Diboll’s O.D. Stivers served as a Military Policeman with the Army in the European Theater of Operations.
THE PINE BOUGH
Scrapbook Pages 4
3-5. Allen Nolen was a staff sergeant in the Army’s 94th Bomb Group, 333rd Squadron. He served as a B-17 ball turret gunner and flew 25 missions over Europe from Rougham Air Base, Bury St. Edumunds, England. He was credited with shooting down a German plane and earned the Distinguished Flying Cross with one star and the air medal with three oak leaf clusters. In photo 3 he poses with his ball turret attached to B-17 “Double Trouble III” after completing 25 missions. Photo 4 was taken from Nolen’s plane on the way to bomb an aircraft factory at Marienburg, one of two missions that were over 10 hours in duration. The other lengthy mission was a shuttle raid from England to North Africa. Photo 5 shows the bombers during this mission over Brenner Pass after bombing a ball-bearing factory at Regensburg.
FIRSTS The student of history soon learns that claiming “the first” in anything can be a perilous pursuit, for it seems there is nothing truly new except the history we don’t know. Thus we cautiously present another list of “firsts,” the second such list begun in last year’s issue.
A LIST OF FIRSTS IN DIBOLL compiled by Patsy Colbert, Louis Landers, and Jonathan Gerland
Schools / Education / Sports Recipient of the first annual Diboll Lions Club scholarship was Louis Landers in May 1967. Source: Diboll Free Press, June 1, 1967. Diboll High School’s first golf team was formed in 1966 and included David Wimp, Danny Baker, Danny Price, Jerry Hathorn, Johnny Girardo, and Jimmy Goins. Source: Diboll Free Press, April 28, 1966. Diboll High School baseball’s first pitcher to throw 3 no-hitters in a single season was Danny Baker in 1967. Source: Diboll Free Press, March 30, 1967. Diboll High School’s first 4-sport super star was Bobby Ramsey, who made first-team all-district teams in football, baseball, basketball, and track in 1958-1959. Source: various news columns, including Diboll Free Press, January 11, 1959 and April 13, 1967. Diboll High School’s first 3-sport super star since integration of the Diboll high schools’ athletics programs in fall 1966 was Johnny Jones, who made first-team all-district teams in football, baseball, and track in 1966-1967. Source: Diboll Free Press, April 13, 1967.
Community First person to collect a bicycle in the Free Press’ “Win A Bike” contest was Bobby Burns of Diboll in June 1961. Source: Angelina County Free Press, June 14, 1961. First recipient of the Texas Library Association’s Philanthropic Award for distinguished contributions to libraries in Texas was the T.L.L. Temple Foundation in 1973. Source: Diboll Free Press, April 5, 1973. City of Diboll’s first female police officer was Joy Watson in 1983. Source: Diboll Free Press, April 28, 1983. First Board of Trustees for Diboll Memorial Library, renamed T.L.L. Temple Memorial Library in 1963, included James Love, Paul Durham, A.J. Brown, Arthur Temple, Lamar Collins, Calvin Lawrence, Mrs. Beth Stubblefield, Mrs. Calvin Lawrence (librarian), Mrs. Alpha Henrich, and Mrs. Julia Schinke in 1961. Source: Houston Chronicle, April 20, 1961. First resident at Diboll’s new South Meadows Nursing Home was longtime Dibollian Fannie Farrington in 1967 at the age of 91. Source: Diboll Free Press, September 21, 1967.
THE PINE BOUGH
S Louis Landers receives the first annual Diboll Lions Club scholarship from Superintendent Wilbur F. Pate during graduation commencement services at Diboll’s First United Methodist Church in May 1967.
Diboll High School’s first golf team organized in 1966, several years before the city had a golf course.
Four-sport super star Bobby Ramsey in 1959.
Diboll High School’s Danny Baker threw three no-hitters over the course of just two weeks in March 1967, the first such feat in school history. Diboll won those games against Trinity 10-0, Huntington 14-0, and Wells 11-0.
In June 1961 young Bobby Burns of Diboll was the first person to sell 15 cash subscriptions to the Free Press during the newspaper’s first “Win A Bike” contest which became a popular promotion well into the 1980s. Bobby poses with his new bike and Lamar Collins in front of Collins’ Western Auto store in the Village Shopping Center, sponsors of the bike contests.
Three-sport super star Johnny Jones in 1967. For decades the T.L.L. Temple Foundation has been and continues to be a major supporter of public libraries across East Texas, receiving the Texas Library Association’s first Philanthropic Award in 1973.
THE PINE BOUGH
Patrol Officer Joy Watson poses for Mike Crim of the Diboll Free Press as the city’s first female police officer in 1983.
above: Pioneer Diboll citizen, Fannie Farrington was the first resident at the new South Meadows Nursing Home in 1967.
Diboll Memorial Library’s first board of trustees in April 1961 included, top row, left to right, James Love, Paul Durham, and A.J. Brown; middle row, Arthur Temple, Lamar Collins, and Calvin Lawrence; front row, Mrs. Beth Stubblefield, Mrs. Calvin Lawrence (librarian), Mrs. Alpha Henrich, and Mrs. Julia Schinke.
IN MEMORY OF BRANDI CLARK (1979-2006) 2006 was a time of profound loss due to the death of our research assistant and friend Brandi Clark on August 3. Brandi was an inspiration to us all and made our lives fuller for having known her. Working with Brandi was a true joy. She humored, encouraged, and inspired not only her co-workers but so many of our patrons. She especially enjoyed learning of the past through their stories and experiences, and she spent countless hours visiting the residents of the local nursing home. Brandi was always glowing it seemed, and even in her occasional disappointments she had a way of rebounding that was amazing. She sometimes whistled while she worked and was ever eager to lend a helping hand or a word of encouragement. She had a zest for life and lived everyday to the fullest, even when enjoying simple things like hot chocolate and flannel pajamas. She touched so many lives, bringing blessings to all who knew her, and in her own special way lightened all of our loads. She seemed always at peace and gave of herself so unselfishly, especially of her time. Many have said that Brandi was one of their most favorite people. We teased Brandi about becoming a “pillar of the community.” She certainly fell in the category of those who made a difference in Diboll. She might have been small in stature but she left a large impression on all who knew her. Few people have had a greater influence on others than Brandi. Losing Brandi was and continues to be a blow to the Center, to our patrons, and to the staff and volunteers. We are truly blessed for having known her, and we carry her memory proudly and with a smile.
THE PINE BOUGH
(Unless otherwise indicated, all photos by History Center staff).
1. Brandi Clark loved life as well as her job at The History Center. 2. Brandi was already a part of The History Center even before she came to work there in 2003. This 1992 photo comes from the Center’s collection of Free Press photographs, showing Brandi after returning from St. Louis following a double lung transplant. 3. Perhaps more than anything else, Brandi loved people. She loved getting to know them whether in person or by telephone. She always seemed to leave everyone with a smile. 4. Brandi especially enjoyed learning about the past through the stories and experiences of our patrons. 5. When Brandi learned that Mrs. Florine Hurdle Washington from California would be visiting the Center with her former Diboll students on July 6, the date of Brandi’s birthday, she did not want Mrs. Washington to know of her birthday and insisted that her staff birthday cake be decorated to welcome and recognize Mrs. Washington. As it turned out, Mrs. Washington told us she was to have her own birthday later that month and that her History Center visit was the best birthday present she had ever received. In a very small way this simple act symbolizes Brandi’s giving character. Brandi would die less than a month after this photo was taken.
6 and 7. Brandi loved festive occasions and enjoyed making theme desserts such as these ringing bell and Temple T-Wheel cakes.
NEWS & NOTICES
All photos by Jonathan Gerland unless otherwise noted.
Claude Bonnell of Chicago, IL, was a locomotive engineer for Pennyslvania Railroad for 44 years. He operated steam engines in India during World War II as a member of the 745th Railway Operating Battalion. He visited us in late January 2006 and especially enjoyed our World War II exhibit and, of course, Engine 13.
RESEARCHERS We served more than 600 researchers during the year (216 on-site and at least another 412 mostly through electronic and traditional mail). Still many others were served for which no record was kept. These include instances where information was provided not necessarily requiring lengthy research preparation. VISITORS At least 5,700 persons visited the Center during the year. Summer visitation numbers were up about 12% over last summer, perhaps due to the popular Neches River exhibit that opened on June 22. A special guest this summer was Florine Hurdle Washington, who grew up in Diboll during the 1920s and 1930s and briefly taught school here before moving to California in the 1940s. Her mother and father were school teachers and administrators here in the 1910s, 1920s, and 1930s. She visited on July 6 and staff invited former friends and students of Mrs. Washington to a reception in which about 25 people attended. WEBSITE The website (www.TheHistoryCenterOnline.com) recorded more than 9,000 unique visitors and over 41,000 page loads during the year. Statistics since the site’s beginning on August 1, 2005 are more than 12,000 unique visitors and at least 54,000 page loads. COLLECTIONS PROCESSING Staff continued throughout the year processing various collections, including the Temple Public Affairs Collection and the voluminous Arthur Temple Jr. Papers and Clyde Thompson Papers. There were at least 53 accessions of new material this year, consisting of a collection of 400 aerial photographs and map overlays for Angelina
Fabio and Irma Mejia of Livingston enjoyed photographing our Baldwin Engine 13 in March. Mr. Mejia worked on Baldwin locomotives during the 1950s as an employee of the International Railways of Central America, where his father Juan began a railroading career back in 1909. Fabio and Irma said the number 13 holds significance in their lives, being the day of the month they began going steady, when they married, and when their first child was born.
County as well as Burke area materials, including the Ina McCall scrapbook featured in this Pine Bough issue. Also accessioned were numerous other photographs, papers, and small artifacts pertaining to Angelina County history, including schools, families, and World War II. TOURS Staff guided tours during the year included the school districts of Diboll, Goodrich, Hudson, and Lufkin as well as several groups of home schoolers. Many came during the spring specifically to see the World War II exhibit. In February, seven classes of Diboll third graders spent between 60 and 75 minutes each, one class at a time and each class subdivided into two groups, participating in presentations on newly acquired World War II resources, including diaries and letters of area servicemen. Also, throughout the year various senior citizen groups, retirement communities, and church organizations toured the Center, several from as far away as Houston to the south and Jacksonville to the north. We also hosted a Humanities Texas workshop tour, a Temple Sales Department retiree reunion and tour, a Leadership Lufkin Chamber of Commerce class, and docents and volunteers from the Texas Forestry Museum. The tours included staff presentations on our growing research materials, basic archival management practices, as well as the regular indoor and outdoor exhibits.
THE PINE BOUGH
NOTICES NEWS & NOTICES
In late February, The History Center hosted seven classes of 5th graders from Diboll’s Temple Elementary for tours of the World War II exhibit and an introduction to related manuscript collections. Visiting one class at a time, the students eagerly viewed World War II era newspapers, wartime aviator’s journals, photographs, and various other items and small artifacts, allowing them to connect the subjects they studied in class with the real people involved in these historic events.
Sofia Miranda visited our World War II exhibit in April and enjoyed seeing a photo of herself on display. She served in the Women’s Army Corps.
Shiree Schade of Austin, granddaughter of J. Shirely Daniel, visited in Februrary and enjoyed viewing thousands of her grandfather’s photographs, which comprise a major portion of our 1940s and 1950s community images.
NEWS & NOTICES
EVENTS The History Center hosted a book signing for Richard Donovan’s Paddling the Wild Neches (published by Texas A&M University Press) on June 22 with about 300 persons in attendance. 197 books were sold at the event, and at least another 50 books have been sold since that time. The event coincided with the opening of the Center’s new exhibit on the Neches River, which featured more than 120 photographs and several maps and newspaper clippings. We also hosted KTRE-TV Channel 9’s Live at Five program on July 21, when Engine 13 and our grounds provided the scene of the 5:00 to 5:30 news broadcast, including interviews with Jonathan and guest Jay Morrison, a retired steam locomotive engineer. We also provided use of our grounds for the Diboll Booster Club’s Diboll Day Kickoff Event in September, featuring country music artist Larry Gatlin. About 120 persons attended the event, raising about $10,000 for the Club.
The Center hosted a book signing for local author Richard Donovan and his Paddling the Wild Neches, published by Texas A&M University Press, on June 22. Several hundred people attended. The event also coincided with the Center’s opening of a new exhibit on the Neches River which showed until late September.
EXHIBITS The Neches River exhibit opened on June 22 and featured more than 120 photographs and several maps and newspaper clippings. The idea for the exhibit grew out of Richard Donovan’s book Paddling the Wild Neches. The exhibit featured photos from Donovan’s protest canoe trips in opposition to further damming of the upper Neches as well as many photos from area nature photographers and historic images from the Center’s collection. The exhibit’s opening soon led to Humanities Texas working with The History Center to develop a traveling Neches River exhibit which should be produced and ready for travel across the state sometime next year. Jerry Bryan and David Crager built 6 fabric-covered display panels and installed them in the caboose in late August. THE PINE BOUGH
NOTICES NEWS & NOTICES
On July 21 the Center hosted KTRE-TV's live at five program. The courtyard provided the setting and Engine 13 served as the backdrop of the broadcast. Center director Jonathan Gerland and retired engineer William J. Morrison were interviewed concerning steam locomotives and the Center's mission of historical preservation.
The panels allow better display of mounted photographs, captions, and other materials to better interpret our area’s railroad history as well as the outdoor train display. Materials and information continue to be added to our online virtual (website) exhibits periodically. Recent additions include the beginning of a Fastrill logging camp display.
OFFSITE PROGRAMS In May, Emily addressed the Society of Southwest Archivists in El Paso about The History Center’s collection and use policies. Jonathan made audio-visual presentations on East Texas railroads to the Lufkin Kiwanis Club in January and on the Texas State Railroad to the Palestine History Forum in May. In September he addressed the Angelina County Genealogical Society in Lufkin about conservation of family papers and photographs and he addressed four classes of Lufkin 3rd graders about the exciting work of archivists and public historians as part of career week at Brandon Elementary School. The students especially enjoyed the diaries and photographs of Angelina County World War II soldiers.
Also in July the Center hosted a special visit by former Diboll schoolteacher Florine Hurdle Washington of California. She visited with former students and friends and helped identify photographs. Mrs. Washington moved away from Diboll in the 1940s. Her mother and father served as early Diboll educators as well, beginning in the late 1910's. For more on the Hurdle family, see pages 10 through 13 in our Pine Bough issue of September 2001, also available as a PDF file on our website, www.TheHistoryCenterOnline.com.
NEWS & NOTICES
Volunteer Bettye Greer donated a new unwrapped copy of The Cornbread Whistle, published by the Diboll Historical Society in 1986, and asked that it be sold for a one hundred dollar donation to the Center. Harry and Sandra Medley became the proud owners of the popular and out of print local history book. Photo by Emily Hyatt.
Country music singer Larry Gatlin performed at the Center in October to kick off the Diboll Booster Club’s Diboll Day 2006 campaign.
SPECIAL PROJECTS Patsy began in early summer making a special effort to collect Burke community history through photographs, papers, and oral histories. She attended a Burke Homecoming earlier in the year, which has yielded good results. Louis continues the weekly “Clippings” section for the Diboll Free Press, highlighting the area’s news from one, five, ten, twenty, and thirty years past. We began in early summer assist44
ing the Temple Cancer Center in Lufkin with selecting more than 100 historic photographs from our collection to reproduce and display at the Cancer Center as part of a major remodel. We also assisted Trinity Missions in Diboll with a similar request as part of their remodel and additions.
THE PINE BOUGH
NOTICES NEWS & NOTICES
Second graders from Lufkin's Dunbar Primary School visited the Center in November as part of a lesson unit on the significance of railroads to the development of Angelina County. They explored the outside railroad displays, learning how steam locomotives and trains operated, and inside they viewed many historic photographs, maps, timetables, and other archival resources. Two inside photos by Louis Landers.
OTHER NEWS Staff were interviewed by Lufkin, Tyler, and Beaumont newspapers and a North Texas area radio station about several topics, including the Center’s holdings of telegrams in manuscript collections, the history of the Texas State Railroad, Pineland area history, and the Center’s mission in general. Jonathan attended the annual meeting of the Society of American Archivists in DECEMBER 2006
Washington, D.C. as well as area meetings of the Pineywoods Experience Advisory Council, East Texas Historical Association, Texas State Historical Association, Texas Historical Commission, and the Texas Heritage Digitization Initiative.
102 N. Temple Diboll, TX 75941
Forward and Address Service Requested
PA I D PERMIT #22 DIBOLL, TX 75941