Your guide to bidding for a new home The Homebid scheme enables to you bid for your choice of home via the internet telephone and by text. You are able to select a property based on the location, size and type of home and put your bids into your order of preference. Advice on how to bid is contained within this leaflet but if you require further support, please contact the Allocations Adviceline on 023 8083 2777.
Making your bids on the internet The quickest and easiest way to bid is through our website: www.southampton.gov.uk/homebid. Instructions are given on screen and you will need to know your unique ID (Homebid reference number) and PIN (date of birth) in order to log on. You can view the website from any computer that has access to the internet. If you do not have a computer at home you can use the library, or self service area at Gateway. When you have decided which properties you prefer, you can bid on up to three using the ‘bid’ button. You should place these in order of preference. (Putting the one you like most first). Also, when using the Homebid website, if you have made a bid and then decide you are no longer interested in that property you can remove the bid via the internet (so long as the bidding cycle is still open). You will also be able to change the order of preference using this method. This is the only way you are able to do this.
Making your bids by text message Action
1. To begin making your bid
Open a new text message
2. Enter the letters BID then a # symbol
3. Follow with your user ID number (Homebid reference number) and a #
4. Follow with your PIN (date of birth) and then a #
5. You should now enter the advert reference number of your first bid followed by a # (Please add the adverts in order of preference)
If you have finished bidding send, if not keep following the instructions below: 6. You should now enter the advert reference number of your second bid followed by a #
If you have finished bidding send, if not keep following the instructions below: 7. You should now enter the advert reference number of your third bid followed by a#
8. When you have entered all your bids send your text message
9. The number to send your bid to is:
10. Expect a valid / invalid bid message within 5 to 10 minutes. • • • •
This will involve a charge at your normal phone rate You can enter your bids in both UPPER and lower case Check that your Homebid number and bids are correct before sending. If you make a mistake and want to change your bids you will need to go to the Homebid website
Telephone bidding You can place a bid, check whether you have been successful in a bid, review the progress of your bids as well as hear the list of available properties which are open for bidding by phoning 0845 839 8984 (this is the automated telephone service). Before using the service make sure you have your User ID (Homebid reference number) and PIN (date of birth) with you. If you want to bid on or wish to check progress on a bid, you will also need the advert numbers of the properties. Step 1
To begin; dial
0845 839 8984
Select the language you would like to listen to this service in. Please note that property descriptions are only available in English.
For example; press 1 for English
Enter your User ID
Homebid reference number
Your User ID will be played back to you
Press ‘1’ to confirm or ‘2’ to re-enter
Enter your PIN (Date of birth)
For example, if date of birth is 8/11/67 you enter 081167
Your PIN will be played back to you
Press ‘1’ to confirm or press ‘2’ to re-enter
The available menu options will then be described to you
• Calls will be charged at the local rate from a landline. However it will depend on your provider’s charges if phoning from a mobile. • Bids should be placed in order of preference (see step 2 page 4) • If you make a bid by mistake and want to change your bid you can only do this on the Homebid website. • You can bid for up to three properties in any bidding cycle, but we ask that you only bid on properties that you are really interested in.
You can bid for up to three properties in each bidding cycle 10/09/21776